Climate Policy Initiative: US$391b invested in climate finance in 2014

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on reddit
Reddit
Share on email
Email
62% of climate finance generated in 2014 came from private investors. Image: Martin Abegglen / Flickr

A new report from the Climate Policy Initiative gives an in-depth look at how economic adjustments and financial resources could play a huge role in combatting climate change.

According to the report, 'Global Landscape of Climate Finance 2015', more money than ever was invested in low-carbon and climate-resistant growth in 2014, with US$391 billion invested last year — a boost from US$331 billion generated in 2013.

East Asia and the Pacific stood as the largest area for climate finance — accounting for 31% of the total or US$119 billion, up from 21% in 2013. China alone stood for 22% of climate finance. With US$93 billion, Western Europe stood as the second largest destination.

Of the US$391 billion, 62% is derived from private investors, while the remaining 38% is from public sources.

While US$391 billion might sound like a significant investment, there is still much to be done. In total, US$1,095 billion has been invested in climate finance from 2011 – 2014, but its been projected that US$13.5 trillion of investment is needed over the next 15 years in order to carry out the national climate pledges made by countries before international climate talks begin in Paris in December 2015.

When it comes to limiting global temperature increases to 2 degrees Celsius, an investment of US$16.5 trillion is required over the next 15 years.

When looking at ways to generate solutions for a low-carbon world, the report recommends the development of an advanced measurement, tracking and reporting system, as well as honing new domestic investment policies for countries.

Other recommendations include innovating and refining financial instruments that answer the needs of investors, while an updated integration of environmental, social and governance factors in investment decision making processes could help investors learn more about climate intervention.

Read Next

PV Tech Premium
August 2, 2021
In today’s installment of PV Tech’s ‘European solar under the spotlight’ feature, we assess the potential and key drivers behind Europe’s leading markets in Germany, Spain and the Netherlands.
PV Tech Premium
July 30, 2021
Not only will solar be the dominant source of new power generation in Europe by 2025, cementing its position as the third largest market for solar globally, but the continent has placed the asset class at the very heart of its COVID-19 recovery strategy. As part of a week-long special report on PV Tech Premium, Liam Stoker, Edith Hancock and Jules Scully explore the drivers for solar in Europe, the key markets and the challenges that remain.
July 29, 2021
The US Senate has passed a new bipartisan infrastructure bill after weeks of protracted discussions, establishing US$550 billion in new infrastructure funding as part of an investment described as “once-in-a-generation”.
July 22, 2021
US Senate majority leader Chuck Schumer has failed in a bid to fast-track the US’ US$1.2 trillion infrastructure investment bill through the Senate. But there remains hope that further progress could be made as early as next Monday, when some Republican senators believe the bill will be fit to proceed.
PV Tech Premium
July 7, 2021
Floating solar may be more commonly associated with Asia’s solar market, however the asset class is proving itself to be of significant potential throughout Europe, as evidenced by projects in the Netherlands, Germany and the UK. Exclusive to PV Tech Premium subscribers, we brought together industry stakeholders to discuss the size of the FPV opportunity.
June 29, 2021
Solar Module Super League (SMSL) members JinkoSolar and Canadian Solar have both submitted applications to the Shanghai Stock Exchange, progressing their respective initial public offering (IPO) plans.

Subscribe to Newsletter

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Webinars
August 19, 2021
At 9am (PT) | 6pm (CEST)
Solar Media Events
August 25, 2021
Solar Media Events
October 6, 2021
Solar Media Events
October 19, 2021
BRISTOL, UK