Dominion Virginia Power to install 110MW of PV in Virginia

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on reddit
Reddit
Share on email
Email
Commonwealth of Virginia will purchase energy from the solar power generation under a under a long-term agreement. Credit@ Dominion

Dominion Virginia Power, a subsidiary of US-based energy company Dominion, is to install 110MW of solar power in Virginia.

The Commonwealth of Virginia will purchase energy from the solar power generation under a under a long-term agreement.

Dominion Virginia Power will build up to 75% of the solar capacity and third-party solar developers will develop the other 25%. Dominion will work alongside various state agencies to find locations and choose the size of the individual facilities. The timeline for project construction and costs will be determined on a case-by-case basis as the plants are planned.

Governor Terry McAuliffe said: “This is another positive step toward furthering the new Virginia economy and will create jobs here in the Commonwealth while reducing the state's carbon footprint. We are committed to solar energy development, and I am pleased to work with Dominion to expand renewable generation in Virginia.”

Thomas Farrell, chairman, president and chief executive officer of Dominion Resources, the parent company of Dominion Virginia Power, said: “Solar generation is an important element of a low-carbon, balanced and diverse generation mix. We are proud to partner with the Commonwealth in its pursuit of making Virginia a leader in clean energy technology.”

Earlier this year Dominion announced plans to add at least 400MW of solar by 2020.

Read Next

May 6, 2021
A round-up of project updates from the US, including progress from EDF Renewables in New York, LS Power's country-wide project acquisition, and a string of investments from Dominion Energy Virginia.
April 6, 2021
Japanese power company J-Power is to convert a retired coal plant in the US into a 240MW solar-plus-storage facility through its local subsidiary.
March 31, 2021
Danish renewables developer European Energy is expanding its operations into the US market, announcing plans for a 300MW solar project in Texas.
February 16, 2021
Appalachian Power has issued a Request for Proposals (RFPs) for up to 300MW of solar and/or wind power, in what is the first in a series the supplier is set to issue.
January 15, 2021
Oil and gas company partners with solar and energy storage developer to accelerate transition in US energy market.
November 3, 2020
Dominion Energy has submitted proposals for nine new solar projects in Virginia with a combined capacity of nearly 500MW as the utility continues to build out its renewables portfolio to meet its clean energy obligations in the state.

Subscribe to Newsletter

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events, Upcoming Webinars
July 29, 2021
Webinar
Upcoming Webinars
August 19, 2021
At 9am (PT) | 6pm (CEST)
Solar Media Events
August 25, 2021