Early data for 2013 electricity demand released by Terna, Italy’s electrical transmission system operator, indicates that 7% of electricity produced in Italy was generated through PV last year.
Domestically produced electricity met 86.7% of overall national demand, with the remaining 13.3% provided by exchanging the balance of electricity with other countries.
PV outperformed geothermal (1.7%) and wind power (4.7%), with only hydroelectric providing a higher percentage among renewable sources, at 16.5%. Renewable sources contributed 29.9%, around 94.9TWh of generation. Domestically generated electricity from thermoelectric stood at 56.8%.
The figures, which are “early estimates”, also show that photovoltaic electricity production in the country saw an increase of almost 19% compared to 2012. PV generated electricity production increased by 18.9%, while hydroelectric saw a 21.4% increase, wind power generation increased by 11.6% and geothermal saw a modest 1% increase. Thermoelectric production however, declined by 12%.
Overall, electricity demand for 2013 showed a decline from the previous year of around 3.1% when adjusted for the extra working day in 2012, which was a leap year. Total demand was 317TWh. Terna stated that the general trend for electricity demand continued to show a decline after figures for 2012 showed a fall from 2011 demand levels of around 1.9%.
Italy closed its feed-in tariff programme for PV last summer after reaching cost cap, leading to speculation that the self-consumption market will see the most growth this year in Italy as large projects tail off.