Welcome to the 38th edition of Photovoltaics International. There is every sign that 2018 is going to be a huge year for the industry as manufacturers continue investing in new tools and technologies. We will doubtless see many of the innovations whose evolution has been documented in these pages becoming increasingly mainstream. Sticking with bifacial solar, Fraunhofer ISE takes a wide-ranging look at a number of challenges surrounding the technology’s leap to widespread deployment. The Institute for Solar Energy Research Hamelin (ISFH) and Meyer Burger Technology AG present a novel bifacial module architecture. The University of New South Wales, Trina Solar and BT Imaging give a suggestion for predicting the variation in multicrystalline cell performance by measuring the bulk lifetime of ingots. We also have a look at PV recycling and lifecycle management from First Solar, PI Berlin’s assessment of PID issues in thin-film solar and TongWei presents a roadmap for PERC cells with 22% efficiency.
Included Technical Papers
- Life cycle management and recycling of PV systems
- Industrial implementation of bifacial PERC+ solar cells and modules
- As-grown bulk lifetime: Increasingly relevant for silicon solar cell performance
- PID issues in thin-film PV plants
- From bifacial PV cells to bifacial PV power plants
- Industrialized high-efficiency mono PERC cells
- Texture etching technologies for diamond-wire-sawn mc-Si solar cells
- PV manufacturing capacity expansion announcement plans and analysis for Q3 2017
- Manufacturing under one roof: the gold standard for module consistency and reliability?