United Solar Ovonics (USO), the fully owned subsidiary of ECD, will contribute to the 4MW BIPV system to be installed on the rooftops of Marcegaglia group’s industrial plant in Taranto. The system will consist of Uni-Solar flexible lightweight PV modules. The project, one of the largest BIPV rooftop systems in Italy, is scheduled to start operating in 2010.
The installation also utilizes Marcegaglia’s Brollo solar PV roofing system, which is formed by directly applying Uni-Solar amorphous-silicon thin-film laminates to corrugated sheets or insulating panels to form a lightweight BIPV roofing solution.
Enel Green Power owns 51% of the system, the other 49% is owned by Marcegaglia group. Once complete, the system will produce over 5 million kWh annually.
Mark Morelli, ECD’s president and CEO, said, “We are pleased to again be working with Marcegaglia on another BIPV project. This installation in Taranto is another excellent example of a successful BIPV application of our Uni-Solar laminates. We look forward to developing many more projects of this type in the future.”