Almost 10% of Japan’s 2012 large-scale PV projects now officially cancelled

September 11, 2014
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email

A survey into Japan’s approved but unbuilt solar PV projects from the 2012 fiscal year has produced another set of definitive results, with 1.82GW of cancellations announced by the government this week.

Yasuhiro Goto, deputy director of Japan’s Agency for Natural Resources and Energy, a division of the influential Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) confirmed the figure to PV Tech this morning. Goto said the ministry would not be naming developers involved in the cases due to the wish to respect privacy and reputation.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Try Premium for just $1

  • Full premium access for the first month at only $1
  • Converts to an annual rate after 30 days unless cancelled
  • Cancel anytime during the trial period

Premium Benefits

  • Expert industry analysis and interviews
  • Digital access to PV Tech Power journal
  • Exclusive event discounts

Or get the full Premium subscription right away

Or continue reading this article for free

However a specially convened working group that looked into the projects and 2012 approved projects made its findings public. Documents released by the group and posted in Japanese on the METI website show that 1.82GW, 9.7% of financial year 2012’s approved projects, have been cancelled, while hearings are now expected to be held for a further 2.7GW of 2012 approvals.

Conversely, the ministry’s working group said 8.8GW, or 47% of 2012’s projects were already connected or had produced the necessary documentation to go ahead with construction.

The document details some of the main reasons for project cancellations, placing emphasis on the grid connection issues that have become a stumbling block to much development in the remote northern island region of Hokkaido and the equally remote sub-tropical southern island region of Okinawa. It was not immediately clear from the working group’s document how many projects this applied to.

There had originally been some intimation that due to the relatively lucrative FiT rates offered in 2012 when Japan’s tariff programme was launched and the ease of obtaining FiT approval as long as accredited equipment was used, some developers had applied for projects at the 2012 rate and waited until costs went down to start actually developing their projects, thus maximising profits. Last week, METI told PV Tech that a deadline at the end of August for developers of 2012-approved projects had met with a good response.

Read Next

November 28, 2025
The EBRD will invest in a 531MW solar PV portfolio in Romania from Israeli renewables company Nofar Energy.
November 28, 2025
The European Patent Office (EPO) has revoked a patent for a key solar cell manufacturing process, which has been hailed as “good news” for European solar PV manufacturing.
November 28, 2025
LONGi has acquired system integrator PotisEdge, and plans to launch an ‘Energy Storage One-Stop Solution’.
November 28, 2025
Chinese module manufacturer Huasun Energy has launched a new heterojunction module with a 760 W output, a 2,000 V system voltage and 24.5% module efficiency.
Premium
November 27, 2025
Prateek Tare tells PV Tech Premium how Distributed Energy Infrastructure transformed a Superfund site into the Acton PV-plus-storage project.
November 27, 2025
The World Bank will invest in a huge 4GW, 5.12GWh solar-plus-storage complex in Malaysia, which will form part of a pan-Southeast Asian power grid initiative.

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events
December 2, 2025
Málaga, Spain
Upcoming Webinars
December 4, 2025
2pm GMT / 3pm CET
Solar Media Events
February 3, 2026
London, UK
Solar Media Events
March 24, 2026
Dallas, Texas
Solar Media Events
April 15, 2026
Milan, Italy