Australian government claims new low carbon support will ‘last decades’

December 4, 2013
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email

Renewable energy will benefit from a “decades long” carbon abatement fund, Australia’s environment minister Greg Hunt has claimed.

The new administration stuck to its pledge to dismantle outgoing Labor’s carbon trading scheme and supporting bodies including the AUS$10 billion (US$9 billion) Clean Energy Finance Corporation (CEFC).

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Try Premium for just $1

  • Full premium access for the first month at only $1
  • Converts to an annual rate after 30 days unless cancelled
  • Cancel anytime during the trial period

Premium Benefits

  • Expert industry analysis and interviews
  • Digital access to PV Tech Power journal
  • Exclusive event discounts

Or get the full Premium subscription right away

Or continue reading this article for free

Hunt told an industry conference that funding to pay for carbon reductions, via the Direct Action policy, would provide support for renewables and other projects for decades to come and would be hard to dismantle.

Direct Action includes an AUS$1.5 billion (US$1.4 billion) fund to support emissions reductions.

Hunt claimed this was an improvement on the “speculative investment” made by the CEFC.

The treasury admitted during the Standing Environment and Communications Legislation Committee’s inquiry into the abolition that it had not done any work to assess which approach would best reduce carbon emissions.

The CEFC abolition bill is currently moving through the approval process with Labor working to delay its progress. The Green Party has claimed that a switch to renewable energy has helped lower electricity prices by 6.1%.

The CEFC recently told the inquiry into the abolition bill that it had already backed 500MW of projects since its formation. It claims that it is currently cutting carbon at a net economic benefit of AUS$2.40 and if allowed to invest its full allocation of funding over the course of the next five years, would deliver more than half of Australia’s carbon reduction target.

Read Next

November 28, 2025
The EBRD will invest in a 531MW solar PV portfolio in Romania from Israeli renewables company Nofar Energy.
November 28, 2025
The European Patent Office (EPO) has revoked a patent for a key solar cell manufacturing process, which has been hailed as “good news” for European solar PV manufacturing.
November 28, 2025
LONGi has acquired system integrator PotisEdge, and plans to launch an ‘Energy Storage One-Stop Solution’.
November 28, 2025
Chinese module manufacturer Huasun Energy has launched a new heterojunction module with a 760 W output, a 2,000 V system voltage and 24.5% module efficiency.
Premium
November 27, 2025
Prateek Tare tells PV Tech Premium how Distributed Energy Infrastructure transformed a Superfund site into the Acton PV-plus-storage project.
November 27, 2025
The World Bank will invest in a huge 4GW, 5.12GWh solar-plus-storage complex in Malaysia, which will form part of a pan-Southeast Asian power grid initiative.

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events
December 2, 2025
Málaga, Spain
Upcoming Webinars
December 4, 2025
2pm GMT / 3pm CET
Solar Media Events
February 3, 2026
London, UK
Solar Media Events
March 24, 2026
Dallas, Texas
Solar Media Events
April 15, 2026
Milan, Italy