Justin Wahid Rangooni, executive director of the Canadian Trade Association for Energy Storage, recently stated that, in order to achieve Canada’s goal of net-zero emissions by 2050 and avoid falling behind in global energy system developments, more of the potential and value of energy storage systems should be brought into play. Modernization of the Canadian power system will be required before this goal can be achieved, of course.
Although the Canadian government has taken initial measures to phase out coal and transition to renewable energy and other zero emission technologies, it is clear that energy storage will need to play a greater role in order for the government’s strategy to succeed. The application of energy storage reduces cost for the owner and not only improves the reliability and flexibility of the power grid, but also promotes the process of carbon neutralization. In 2009, Canada introduced the Global Adjustment (GA) charging system, which imposed a high penalty on peak power consumption, alleviating pressure on the grid. However, a traditional energy storage solution cannot solve the problem of high penalties on the policy side in response to project requirements, which leads to the energy storage application being unable to be widely implemented.
In response to the demands of this kind of application, Kehua provided an industry-first MW-level UPS+ESS integrated solution to fill the technical gap of changing the application. So how does this solution bring value to end-users, investors and integrators?
➢ Project background:
The project is located in Ontario. The province is a heavy consumer of industrial power, accounting for 40% of Canada’s total electricity consumption. In order to alleviate the pressure on the grid, the government introduced the Global Adjustment (GA) electricity charging system (with the proportion of GA charging exceeding 80%). The system has generated high peak electricity charges for large factories, therefore it is urgent to introduce mature and reliable energy storage solutions to reduce electricity fees.
The fundamental requirement of this project is to use an energy storage solution for off-peak energy storage, so as to avoid peak power consumption and reduce electricity bills. Considering local policy requirements, an off-grid energy storage solution that offers quick delivery is the first choice to reduce fines and shorten the return period. However, due to large fluctuations and poor power quality of the local power grid, a traditional off-grid energy storage solution will find it difficult to meet customer demand for all-day, high-reliability and high-quality power supply.
➢ Kehua Innovation Solution:
As the world’s leading provider of UPS and energy storage solutions with 33 years of accumulated experience, Kehua has developed an industry-first MW-level UPS+ESS integrated container solution. Compared with traditional alternatives currently on the market, this solution can not only achieve peak shaving and valley filling, but can also deliver a highly reliable, green and efficient uninterrupted power supply. The innovative structure, intelligent design and high-end certification of the solution have improved on existing standards and given it a leading role in the industry:
1. Land saving: the integrated container ESS adopts an innovative mirror stacking scheme, with two sets of containers and internal equipment that are mirror-symmetric. It also adopts double-layer placement, reducing the area required by 50%.
2. UPS function: The Kehua KR33 series 1200kW high-power UPS is adopted to ensure an all-day, highly reliable power supply.
3. Off-grid solution: to quickly pass local examination and receive policy approval, to put the project into operation as soon as possible.
4. Product solution design: adopting standardized production and unified certification to achieve rapid delivery and support flexible expansion; Investments can be made in batches for maximized returns.
5. Industry certifications: solution meets the requirements of CSA, NFPA, IEC and UL, ensuring the system’s reliability and safety.
6. Intelligent operation and maintenance: The industry’s first intelligent control panel can centrally control UPS systems, lithium battery systems, transformers and power distribution cabinets, effectively saving more than 80% in operation and maintenance time.
The Kehua MW-level UPS+ESS integrated container solution is an industry-first with a forward-looking design. As the world’s leading integrated energy service provider, with an in-depth understanding of industry application scenarios and accumulated experience in world leading technology, the company is continuously promoting technological and solution innovation in the field of energy storage and UPS applications. It responds to customer needs, solves project challenges and brings efficient reliable energy and high returns to its customers.