ReneSola clears up confusion on US PV import cuts

March 28, 2014
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email

Chinese PV manufacturer ReneSola has cleared up confusion surrounding its claim earlier this week that it would be cutting module shipments to the US in the wake of the latest trade dispute.

The company has been named as a respondent by the US Department of Commerce in the investigation that was triggered over the New Year by a complaint from SolarWorld USA.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Try Premium for just $1

  • Full premium access for the first month at only $1
  • Converts to an annual rate after 30 days unless cancelled
  • Cancel anytime during the trial period

Premium Benefits

  • Expert industry analysis and interviews
  • Digital access to PV Tech Power journal
  • Exclusive event discounts

Or get the full Premium subscription right away

Or continue reading this article for free

A statement on Wednesday by Xianshou Li, CEO, ReneSola said: “We have temporarily halted shipments to the United States that fall within the scope of the investigation that began this March.”

In a further statement released on Thursday, it clarified its position and gave further explanation on its reasoning.

“This investigation may result in certain retroactive tariffs being applied on products shipped to the United States within the investigation scope, including modules with Chinese and Taiwanese cell elements, if the Department finds sharply increased Chinese shipments to the United States from March to the preliminary ruling date,” said Li. “In the interests of our clients and investors, we are temporarily reducing our US product shipments in question.”

The company also stressed that there would be no impact on its full year module shipping guidance of 2.3GW to 2.5GW.

“While we oppose the petition raised against certain products from China, we are well prepared and well positioned to meet this challenge and will continue to support US consumers with our top quality module products that are not the subject of the trade proceedings,” said Li.

“We are confident that we can continue to leverage our well-deployed global OEM resources and capabilities, and optimise our geographic distribution to our advantage,” he added.

A second named respondent, Wuxi Suntech, yesterday called for an end to the trade disputes for the good of the global solar industry, not just that of the countries tied up in legal wrangles.

Read Next

November 28, 2025
The EBRD will invest in a 531MW solar PV portfolio in Romania from Israeli renewables company Nofar Energy.
November 28, 2025
The European Patent Office (EPO) has revoked a patent for a key solar cell manufacturing process, which has been hailed as “good news” for European solar PV manufacturing.
November 28, 2025
LONGi has acquired system integrator PotisEdge, and plans to launch an ‘Energy Storage One-Stop Solution’.
November 28, 2025
Chinese module manufacturer Huasun Energy has launched a new heterojunction module with a 760 W output, a 2,000 V system voltage and 24.5% module efficiency.
Premium
November 27, 2025
Prateek Tare tells PV Tech Premium how Distributed Energy Infrastructure transformed a Superfund site into the Acton PV-plus-storage project.
November 27, 2025
The World Bank will invest in a huge 4GW, 5.12GWh solar-plus-storage complex in Malaysia, which will form part of a pan-Southeast Asian power grid initiative.

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events
December 2, 2025
Málaga, Spain
Upcoming Webinars
December 4, 2025
2pm GMT / 3pm CET
Solar Media Events
February 3, 2026
London, UK
Solar Media Events
March 24, 2026
Dallas, Texas
Solar Media Events
April 15, 2026
Milan, Italy