China working on settlement in US solar trade case

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email

Lawyers representing China’s government have asked the US Department of Commerce (DoC) for more time to propose a deal in the ongoing solar trade dispute between the two countries.

According to the DoC a suspension agreement would put preliminary anti-dumping duties, and the requirement of cash deposits, on hold until an alternative agreement to nullify any unfair trade is agreed. The current filing does not apply to the anti-subsidy case.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Try Premium for just $1

  • Full premium access for the first month at only $1
  • Converts to an annual rate after 30 days unless cancelled
  • Cancel anytime during the trial period

Premium Benefits

  • Expert industry analysis and interviews
  • Digital access to PV Tech Power journal
  • Exclusive event discounts

Or get the full Premium subscription right away

Or continue reading this article for free

A document seen by PV Tech and sent on behalf of the Beijing government asks for a one-week extension of the deadline to submit a suspension agreement, proposing a 15 August cut off date.

Last week, the original petitioner, SolarWorld Americas, and the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) engaged in a public row over proposed agreements.

It emerged that at the end of last week an SEIA delegation travelled to China to meet with manufacturers.

SolarWorld has said a settlement outline put on the table by the SEIA last year is insufficient but would not rule out further talks.

One possible solution would be a price undertaking, similar to that between the EU and China. That agreement has an annual quota and a quarterly adjust minimum price on Chinese modules and cells.

The SEIA proposal would involve Chinese manufacturers paying into a settlement fund that would then be distributed among US manufacturers. A similar model was used to settle a longstanding dispute between Canada and the US over timber exports.

The latest trade row includes Taiwanese cell manufacturers. It is unclear what impact a suspension agreement would have on them.

The DoC is not obliged to accept a request for a suspension agreement and it is unclear if it will even allow the deadline extension.

Read Next

May 20, 2026
Canadian energy firm Enbridge will develop a 365MW/1,600MWh solar-plus-storage project in Wyoming, US, as part of an ongoing partnership with tech and data giant Meta.
May 20, 2026
The California Independent System Operator (CAISO) Board of Governors has approved the ISO’s 2025-2026 transmission plan, which accommodates 45 GW of new solar PV.
May 20, 2026
Price is the main barrier to PPAs being transacted in the UK market today, a panel at the Renewable Procurement and Revenue Summit said.
May 20, 2026
GameChange Solar has partnered with First Solar to support the deployment of domestically manufactured thin-film solar modules in India. 
May 20, 2026
European solar manufacturing start-up Carbon has abandoned its plan to build a 5GW module assembly plant in France due to a lack of conditions required for EU-made solar PV manufacturing.
May 20, 2026
The US$300 million North Star platform will target investments across solar, wind, hybrid and energy storage projects. 

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events
May 20, 2026
Porto, Portugal
Upcoming Webinars
May 27, 2026
9am BST / 10am CEST
Upcoming Webinars
May 27, 2026
9am BST / 10am CEST
Media Partners, Solar Media Events
June 2, 2026
Johannesburg, South Africa
Media Partners, Solar Media Events
June 3, 2026
National Exhibition and Convention Center (Shanghai)