Government of Italy to reinstate guaranteed purchases of green certificates for 2010

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email

A decision has been made to reinstate guaranteed purchases of green certificates in Italy for 2010 since the announcement that the government would stop them halted investment in the sector. However, the government plans to overhaul the certificates once again in 2011 in order to avoid speculation, reports the Wall Street Journal.

“We have gone for a solution that takes into account [promoting] investments as well as introducing reforms,” said industry ministry undersecretary, Stefano Saglia.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Try Premium for just $1

  • Full premium access for the first month at only $1
  • Converts to an annual rate after 30 days unless cancelled
  • Cancel anytime during the trial period

Premium Benefits

  • Expert industry analysis and interviews
  • Digital access to PV Tech Power journal
  • Exclusive event discounts

Or get the full Premium subscription right away

Or continue reading this article for free

With the reinstatement, the Italian government scraps a decree featured in its €25billion austerity budget, which relieved GSE from its role as the buyer of last resort for green certificates issued to support development of cleaner energy production.

The proposals abolishing the guarantee that the GSE would buy the excess green certificates shocked energy players and observers, blocking new financing for renewable-energy projects.

While the certificates were introduced as an incentive, they actually played a key role as bank collateral so long as the GSE guaranteed a floor price. “The market is blocked right now as no bank will give any loans until the [photovoltaic] tariffs and incentives are clarified,” Andrea Fontana, country manager for Italy for Fotowatio Renewable Ventures, said.

The green-certificate system has intrinsic volatilities, compared to a tariff scheme allowing gradual reductions, continued Fontana. “In the photovoltaic sector we are paid per kilowatt-hour produced, and this is better for business-model planning.”

Italy now awaits the news of subsidy cuts, which are expected within the next few days. With these cuts, Italy joins several other European countries, including Germany and France, in making changes to its renewable subsidy program. The Italian government is still undecided on exactly how it will change its feed-in tariff system, yet the revised subsidies will cover the period 2011-2013.

Read Next

August 18, 2026
Windlab & Squadron Energy have referred a 500MW solar-plus-storage site to Australia's federal government for assessment under the EPBC Act.
August 18, 2026
The Australian and New South Wales (NSW) governments have jointly committed AU$2.5 billion (US$1.63 billion) to secure the future of the Tomago Aluminium smelter.
August 17, 2026
CIP has closed at around US$3 billion to develop large-scale energy infrastructure projects across emerging markets.
August 17, 2026
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) has provided a €120 million financing package for a 342MW solar-plus-storage project in Romania.
August 17, 2026
The ACC voted last week to cut the export rate—the price at which residential solar consumers can sell electricity back to the grid—by 10%.

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events
October 13, 2026
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Solar Media Events
November 3, 2026
Málaga, Spain
Solar Media Events
November 24, 2026
Warsaw, Poland
Solar Media Events
February 2, 2027
London, UK
Solar Media Events
April 20, 2027
Istanbul, Türkiye