Labor backs away from Australia RET deal over two-yearly reviews

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email

Australia’s Labor Party will not support a deal on the Renewable Energy Target (RET) over its biennial reviews and the inclusion of wood waste from native forests, despite Coalition announcements that a deal had been reached.

PV Tech reported yesterday that minister for industry and science Ian Macfarlane had announced that the country’s two main parties had reached an agreement to reduce the RET target to 33,000GWh, but according to local reports, opposition environment minister Mark Butler told reporters the inclusion of a two-yearly review would hinder investment in the industry and cause uncertainty.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Try Premium for just $1

  • Full premium access for the first month at only $1
  • Converts to an annual rate after 30 days unless cancelled
  • Cancel anytime during the trial period

Premium Benefits

  • Expert industry analysis and interviews
  • Digital access to PV Tech Power journal
  • Exclusive event discounts

Or get the full Premium subscription right away

Or continue reading this article for free

Butler told reporters: “Unless the government drops that, this deal cannot proceed.

“I thought we had a position of agreement based on the 33,000GWh large-scale target. What the government should do is drop this silliness of re-arguing the case on the reviews, which were dropped months before.”

John Grimes, chief executive of the Australian Solar Council, said the Council fully backs Labor’s position on the reviews and the inclusion of wood waste in the target.

The RET has been reviewed three times in three years and the Coalition government is now pressing for a further review to start in seven months time.

Grimes said another review would “devastate” Australia’s solar industry.

After the recent Coalition announcement that a deal had been reached, Clean Energy Council chief executive Kane Thornton expressed “serious concern” about the retaining of the biennial review, which he claimed the industry had been given repeated assurances would be removed.

However, Labor's backing away from the RET deal is also likely to continue investor uncerntainty for the renewables industry. Thornton said the RET review, which has already lasted for 14 months, caused this uncertainty and hundreds of jobs to be lost.

Read Next

August 19, 2026
Japanese PV manufacturer Toyo has reported 2.6GW of cell shipments and 191.5MW of module shipments in the first half of 2026.
August 19, 2026
Inox Clean Energy, an INOXGFL Group subsidiary, has completed the acquisition of Vena Energy for INR 60 billion (US$ 627.5 million).
August 19, 2026
Dimension Energy has secured US$857 million in additional capital to expand its distributed solar platform across 29 projects in the US.
August 19, 2026
US-based module manufacturer Translucent Solar has entered production ramp-up at its module assembly plant in South Carolina.
August 19, 2026
EDF power solutions North America has signed two PPAs with NV Energy to sell power generated at a solar-plus-storage project in Nevada.
August 19, 2026
India installed a record 27GW of solar capacity in the first half of 2026, up 49% year on year, according to Mercom.

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events
October 13, 2026
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Solar Media Events
November 3, 2026
Málaga, Spain
Solar Media Events
November 24, 2026
Warsaw, Poland
Solar Media Events
February 2, 2027
London, UK
Solar Media Events
April 20, 2027
Istanbul, Türkiye