Buyer found as ‘SolarMax 2.0’ prepares for June relaunch

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email

It appears a buyer has been found for Swiss inverter manufacturer SolarMax, which was declared insolvent at the end of last year, with the company set to relaunch in June.

SolarMax’s parent company Sputnik Engineering went into administration in December. In materials circulated to shareholders at the time, SolarMax said it had unsuccessfully looked for buyers before making the declaration and signing contracts with Switzerland’s official office for bankruptcies and debt collection, Schweizer Konkursämter. At the time analysts including IHS spoke of rapidly increasing competition in the inverter market globally, making business difficult even for Europe’s bigger manufacturers including SolarMax and SMA.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Try Premium for just $1

  • Full premium access for the first month at only $1
  • Converts to an annual rate after 30 days unless cancelled
  • Cancel anytime during the trial period

Premium Benefits

  • Expert industry analysis and interviews
  • Digital access to PV Tech Power journal
  • Exclusive event discounts

Or get the full Premium subscription right away

Or continue reading this article for free

In a brief statement issued on Friday, SolarMax announced its intention to re-emerge in June with ‘SolarMax 2.0’. According to the company the relaunch will include new support for customers including a service hotline and repairs, along with some new products to be added to the SolarMax range.

The company also says it will unveil a new “product innovation” next month at the Intersolar Europe show. While declining to give details, SolarMax said it will be a product to integrate PV generation into home automation, an area that is increasingly of interest to the solar industry. A recent GTM Research report on “Energy in the connected home” looked closely at some solar companies’ recent efforts in this field.

SolarMax’s new owner is a company called Soma Solar Holdings, newly established in March and with shareholders to include Mathias Mader, CEO of German-headquartered renewable and sustainable energy company Actensys. A SolarMax spokeswoman based at the Actensys headquarters in Ellzee, Bavaria, confirmed the news to PV Tech this morning.   

Read Next

August 18, 2026
Residential solar and energy storage provider Sunrun has signed an agreement with distributed energy resource platform Voltus to support its Bring Your Own Capacity (BYOC) programmes for AI hyperscalers.
August 18, 2026
Windlab & Squadron Energy have referred a 500MW solar-plus-storage site to Australia's federal government for assessment under the EPBC Act.
August 18, 2026
The Australian and New South Wales (NSW) governments have jointly committed AU$2.5 billion (US$1.63 billion) to secure the future of the Tomago Aluminium smelter.
August 17, 2026
CIP has closed at around US$3 billion to develop large-scale energy infrastructure projects across emerging markets.
August 17, 2026
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) has provided a €120 million financing package for a 342MW solar-plus-storage project in Romania.

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events
October 13, 2026
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Solar Media Events
November 3, 2026
Málaga, Spain
Solar Media Events
November 24, 2026
Warsaw, Poland
Solar Media Events
February 2, 2027
London, UK
Solar Media Events
April 20, 2027
Istanbul, Türkiye