the current handicap of polysilicon shortages, thin film CdTe PV
manufacturer First Solar has revealed that it expects annual capacity
to reach approximately 1 gigawatt by the end of 2009 with the expected
full ramp of all four plants in Malaysia going to plan.
Currently, First Solar has completed, slightly ahead of schedule, Plant 1 in Malaysia with equipment installation and line qualification ongoing. Plant 1 is expected to ramp production in the second quarter of 2008.
The three other plants are nearing completion with First Solar expecting capital spending to reach approximately $500 million this year as it aggressively scales its manufacturing.
Unlock unlimited access for 12 whole months of distinctive global analysis
Photovoltaics International is now included.
- Regular insight and analysis of the industry’s biggest developments
- In-depth interviews with the industry’s leading figures
- Unlimited digital access to the PV Tech Power journal catalogue
- Unlimited digital access to the Photovoltaics International journal catalogue
- Access to more than 1,000 technical papers
- Discounts on Solar Media’s portfolio of events, in-person and virtual
Or continue reading this article for free