For the second consecutive year after autumn 2009, preliminary estimates of electricity demand in Italy last year shows a 0.6% growth on 2010. The total energy demand in 2011 amounted to 332.3 billion kWh. PV accounted for 2.8% out of 64.7% of domestic production. However, the net national production (289.2 billion kWh) is a decrease of 0.5% compared to 2010.
A decrease in energy consumption, by 3.3% in December, has been blamed on a mild winter. December generated 84.7% domestic and the remainder 15.3% was exported. In detail, the net national production (23.4 billion kWh) has down by 11.3% over the same month of 2010, increasing the sources of wind power production (+29.8%) and photovoltaic (+458.7%), down hydroelectric sources (-31.9) and thermoelectric power (-11.8%), geothermal energy production unchanged (0.0%). At the territorial level, the change in December 2011 was negative everywhere and few alterations: -5.6% in the North, Central and -4.2% to -4.5% in the South.
The detailed analysis of electricity demand in 2010 and interim final month of 2011, is available in the publication Monthly Report on Electric System, under the section “System Power Supplies>> Ancillary>> Data” in the site www.terna.it