SunPower Corp. has completed construction of its 350kW solar power installation on the Crowne Plaza Hotel rooftop in Alice Springs, Australia, the largest roof-mounted solar power system on the continent. Invest North Pty Ltd. is the owner of the project.
“We are proud that Invest North chose SunPower’s high-efficiency solar panels to help power its flagship hotel in Australia,” commented Bob Blakiston, managing director of SunPower Australia. “This installation is a testament to the growing adoption of solar energy on commercial and public buildings. The Crowne Plaza Hotel’s solar electric system is expected to provide between 40 and 80 percent of the hotel’s power requirements, depending on the time of year.”
In conjunction with Australia’s AUD$94 million Solar Cities Program, the Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and Arts (DEWHA) supplied financial support for the project.
“Through the support of the Rudd Labor government, projects such as this set a clear standard for what is expected of Australian companies when reducing their environmental impact,” said Blakiston.
Unlock unlimited access for 12 whole months of distinctive global analysis
Photovoltaics International is now included.
- Regular insight and analysis of the industry’s biggest developments
- In-depth interviews with the industry’s leading figures
- Unlimited digital access to the PV Tech Power journal catalogue
- Unlimited digital access to the Photovoltaics International journal catalogue
- Access to more than 1,000 technical papers
- Discounts on Solar Media’s portfolio of events, in-person and virtual