Australian government claims new low carbon support will ‘last decades’

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email

Renewable energy will benefit from a “decades long” carbon abatement fund, Australia’s environment minister Greg Hunt has claimed.

The new administration stuck to its pledge to dismantle outgoing Labor’s carbon trading scheme and supporting bodies including the AUS$10 billion (US$9 billion) Clean Energy Finance Corporation (CEFC).

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Try Premium for just $1

  • Full premium access for the first month at only $1
  • Converts to an annual rate after 30 days unless cancelled
  • Cancel anytime during the trial period

Premium Benefits

  • Expert industry analysis and interviews
  • Digital access to PV Tech Power journal
  • Exclusive event discounts

Or get the full Premium subscription right away

Or continue reading this article for free

Hunt told an industry conference that funding to pay for carbon reductions, via the Direct Action policy, would provide support for renewables and other projects for decades to come and would be hard to dismantle.

Direct Action includes an AUS$1.5 billion (US$1.4 billion) fund to support emissions reductions.

Hunt claimed this was an improvement on the “speculative investment” made by the CEFC.

The treasury admitted during the Standing Environment and Communications Legislation Committee’s inquiry into the abolition that it had not done any work to assess which approach would best reduce carbon emissions.

The CEFC abolition bill is currently moving through the approval process with Labor working to delay its progress. The Green Party has claimed that a switch to renewable energy has helped lower electricity prices by 6.1%.

The CEFC recently told the inquiry into the abolition bill that it had already backed 500MW of projects since its formation. It claims that it is currently cutting carbon at a net economic benefit of AUS$2.40 and if allowed to invest its full allocation of funding over the course of the next five years, would deliver more than half of Australia’s carbon reduction target.

Read Next

May 21, 2026
New South Wales (NSW), Australia, has launched what it has described as its “biggest renewable energy tender in the state’s history”, seeking 2.5GW of renewable energy generation.
May 20, 2026
Canadian energy firm Enbridge will develop a 365MW/1,600MWh solar-plus-storage project in Wyoming, US, as part of an ongoing partnership with tech and data giant Meta.
May 20, 2026
The California Independent System Operator (CAISO) Board of Governors has approved the ISO’s 2025-2026 transmission plan, which accommodates 45 GW of new solar PV.
May 20, 2026
Price is the main barrier to PPAs being transacted in the UK market today, a panel at the Renewable Procurement and Revenue Summit said.
May 20, 2026
GameChange Solar has partnered with First Solar to support the deployment of domestically manufactured thin-film solar modules in India. 
May 20, 2026
European solar manufacturing start-up Carbon has abandoned its plan to build a 5GW module assembly plant in France due to a lack of conditions required for EU-made solar PV manufacturing.

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Webinars
May 27, 2026
9am BST / 10am CEST
Upcoming Webinars
May 27, 2026
9am BST / 10am CEST
Media Partners, Solar Media Events
June 2, 2026
Johannesburg, South Africa
Media Partners, Solar Media Events
June 3, 2026
National Exhibition and Convention Center (Shanghai)
Solar Media Events
June 16, 2026
Napa, USA