China unfazed at prospect of US solar inverter tariffs

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email
Sungrow said it would utilise its Indian manufacturing if required. Source: Sungrow.

The US threat of 10% tariffs on solar inverters has been met with a mixture of disdain and composure by authorities and the Chinese solar industry itself.

Inverters were included in a long list of produce to be considered for trade duties in the next volley of tit-for-tat measures between the US and China.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Try Premium for just $1

  • Full premium access for the first month at only $1
  • Converts to an annual rate after 30 days unless cancelled
  • Cancel anytime during the trial period

Premium Benefits

  • Expert industry analysis and interviews
  • Digital access to PV Tech Power journal
  • Exclusive event discounts

Or get the full Premium subscription right away

Or continue reading this article for free

The top two global shippers of solar inverters are both Chinese.

William Zhou, VP of Sungrow told PV Tech the company would find alternative ways to serve the US if required.

“We will leverage our strong India manufacturing capability for the US market,'' he said.

''As the global leading inverter supplier for renewables, we oppose the trade war initiated by the US. The mission of our industry is to benefit all humans. Free trade is the cornerstone for global economy. We believe that the unreasonable taxation will not accomplish any business parties,” he added.

The Chinese PV Industry Association said that China’s inverter manufacturers were looking to develop overseas markets at present and had already been closely monitoring the possibility of trade duties for some time.

The country’s ministry of finance and commerce issued a blunter statement through a spokesperson.

“It is totally unacceptable…We express our solemn protest. The behaviour of the US is hurting China, hurting the world, and hurting itself. This irrational behaviour is unpopular.

“The Chinese side is shocked by the actions of the US. In order to safeguard the core interests of the country and the fundamental interests of the people, the Chinese government will, as always, have to make the necessary counter-measures,” the statement added. 

Additional reporting by Carrie Xiao.

Read Next

May 18, 2026
US real estate company CIM Group has launched an energy platform with a 2GW portfolio of solar PV and battery energy storage system (BESS) assets.
Premium
May 15, 2026
PV Tech Premium analyses whether this new PV trade scrutiny on Ethiopia could be a sign of accelerated protectionism from US manufacturers.
May 14, 2026
MN8 Energy has raised US$300 million to extend a corporate credit facility that will build out its pipeline of US solar and storage projects.
May 14, 2026
Canadian Solar has posted a quarter-on-quarter decline in both solar module shipments and net revenues in the first quarter of 2026.
May 14, 2026
Arava Power has acquired 50% of OCI Energy’s La Salle Solar project, a 670MW project that OCI expects to start commercial operations in 2028.
May 13, 2026
US solar manufacturer T1 Energy has registered a record quarterly net income and adjusted EBITDA in the first quarter of 2026.

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events
May 20, 2026
Porto, Portugal
Upcoming Webinars
May 27, 2026
9am BST / 10am CEST
Upcoming Webinars
May 27, 2026
9am BST / 10am CEST
Media Partners, Solar Media Events
June 2, 2026
Johannesburg, South Africa
Media Partners, Solar Media Events
June 3, 2026
National Exhibition and Convention Center (Shanghai)