China’s subsidies plan: update suggests decline in annual allowance



Following on from last week’s news of the introduction of a solar subsidy system for the Chinese market, Barclays Capital Solar has published an update, with details garnered from the Chinese Ministry of Finance’s announcement on March 31st. The reviewed announcement includes news of an annual decline in subsidies.

The Barclays report states that contrary to the original release, the program covers both non-BIPV rooftop applications as well as BIPV, but that the incentive for the non-BIPV applications will be lower than the $2.90/W announced for BIPV.

The subsidy amounts are expected to decline year-by-year, but no further information was given on this point.

While the Ministry of Finance has yet to decide on a specific annual cap for the subsidies, it was suggested that 70% of the incentives budget would be transferred to the Provincial Finance Ministry. Following a review of the finished package, the remaining 30% will then be transferred to the Ministry.

It seems likely that this program is in addition to Provincial Subsidy programs for the country, given that, for example, the province of Jiangsau recently established a feed-in tariff for 240MW installations.
Stimulus package

China’s 4 trillion yuan stimulus package (announced in early March) included 210 billion yuan ($30 billion) for green energy programs, but there are rumours that there is an additional $30 billion green stimulus package on the cards – this has been disputed by Barclays’s research.


Despite the lower subsidy level for the non-BIPV installations, the Barclays report states that:

“…We believe no formal cap for the program, potential announcements of provincial subsidy programs and longer term nature of the Central government subsidy program are positives.”

7 December 2022
Intersolar is the world’s leading exhibition & conference series for the solar industry. As part of this event series, Intersolar India in Gujarat is India’s most pioneering exhibition and conference for India’s solar industry. It takes place annually and has a focus on the areas of photovoltaics, PV production and solar thermal technologies. Since 2019, Intersolar India is held under the umbrella of The smarter E India – India’s innovation hub for the new energy world.
24 January 2023
Solar Quality Summit Europe January 24–25, 2023 The Solar Quality Summit Europe in Barcelona will bring together the PV industry to give an overview of market developments and recent technologies, sharing best practices in EPC, O&M, and Asset Management.
1 February 2023
Returning For Its 10th Year | Connecting Project Developers & Capital
Now in it’s 10th year, Solar Finance & Investment Europe is the meeting place for solar developers, asset managers, investors & financiers to learn the latest business models for project finance, re-financing, power purchase agreements as well secondary markets for PV assets. The conference also looks at latest technologies and systems for maximising power output and efficiency, reducing losses and predictive maintenance. The 2023 edition will bring together the largest pool of capital and projects together. Reserve your space now to avoid disappointment.
14 February 2023
Intersolar North America (ISNA) and Energy Storage North America (ESNA) is the premier US-based conference and trade show focused on solar, energy storage, and EV charging infrastructure. Dedicated to accelerating the energy transition, the combined event delivers actionable education, invaluable networking, and an immersive expo hall experience.
22 February 2023
After a record breaking year at the Energy Storage Summit, join us next year at the 8th edition in 2023 where we are expanding in line with the increased opportunity across the renewable sector. As we see this continued growth of the industry through change in government policy, increased capital and a need for grid resilience in geographies with high renewable penetration, can the necessary scale be met across the value chain in order to meet net-zero goals in Europe? We will gather industry leaders across the sector to discuss a range of vital topics including the most lucrative markets for storage and what the best route to market strategy is for your storage asset, changes needed in policy and infrastructure, as well as the effects of the supply crisis, disruptive technologies and much more.
14 March 2023
PV CellTech will be return to Berlin on 14-15 March 2023 and looking at the competing technologies and roadmaps for PV cell mass production during 2024-2026.

Read Next

Subscribe to Newsletter

Most Read

Upcoming Events