The large-scale PV plant brings Vietnam one step closer to its aim of generating 10% of electricity from renewable energy sources by 2030. Source: Flickr/guido da rozze
Vietnam is set to build a brand new 30MW solar PV plant in the north-central province of Thanh Hoa.
The plant is being developed as a joint venture between local energy companies Song La Energy JSC and Song Lam Investment & Construction and is being entirely domestically-funded, with a total investment of VND800 billion (US$35 million). Son La Energy JSC’s Sinh Tien Tran told PV Tech that the companies are still in the process of selecting banks to finance the project.
However, the two firms will directly finance 30% (VND242 billion) (US$10.6 million) of the cost, while the remaining 70% will be covered by commercial banks.
Song La Energy JSC told PV Tech that construction is expected to start in Q4 2017 with commercial operation anticipated for Q4 2018. The project will be located on 650,000 square meters of land in the Yen Dinh District, around 160km south of Hanoi.
The plant will also be comprised of 90,640 c-Si polysilicon modules, which Song La Energy said it selected for their popularity in the international market, as well as their competitive purchase and installation price, durability and low annual generation attenuation.
Vietnam’s solar market
The large-scale PV plant brings Vietnam one step closer to its aim of generating 10% of electricity from renewable energy sources by 2030. Local authorities have stated that the country’s burgeoning renewable energy market is generating a profit for investors as they join Vietnam’s push towards clean energy.
“During operation, the output generated by the farm shall be a clean significant power addition to power demand of Thanh Hoa province in particular and the surrounding area in general. The farm construction is in accordance with government orientation of clean power development and has a part in reduction of pollution, carbon emission caused by fossil fuels,” said Sinh Tran Tien.
The country's electricity demand is expected to grow 13% annually over the next four years.
Vietnam also recently confirmed its long-awaited feed-in tariff (FiT) scheme which will open 1 June 2017 to 30 June 2019.
“The country's feed-in tariff regime plays an important role as leverage for solar development to take full advantage of Vietnam's solar potential,” added Tien.
Spring-cleaning your solar park? Why not boost its energy output too with DSM’s Retrofit AR coating?
During this webinar, DSM’s commercial manager Jörn Brembach will be interviewed by PV Tech’s Mark Osborne, covering everything from the science behind this solution to industrial-scale use cases done in Germany, Italy, and the Czech Republic. Jörn will cover the practical application process and all other aspects of this turnkey service in detail, from pre-inspection and business case definition to full data analysis of the plant, pre- and post-application. Finally, DSM will share the outcomes of two recent bankability reports: an in-depth cleaning study by DSM and a performance study by TÜV Rheinland.
The 6th Annual Solar & Storage Finance Asia conference will bring together policy makers, developers, financers and investors from across the region to discuss how we mobilise investment in tomorrow’s projects and overcome some of the challenges slowing us down. Don’t miss out, join the conversation and help us in our goal of driving forward large-scale renewable Solar & Storage projects across Asia.
The first ever event dedicated specifically to solar PV Heterojunction manufacturing and multi-GW production challenges and opportunities. Meet the global community driving Heterojunction to multi-GW status in mass production today in the spectacular setting of St. Petersburg in Russia.
The Utility Solar Summit UK will focus entirely on the opportunities in the UK ground-mount space and feature the new technology and advanced innovations allowing asset owners to improve yield in a subsidy free market. Listen to senior market leaders share stories of their successes and manufacturers pushing the envelope for solar PV whilst taking advantage of our enhanced networking features to connect you with your peers onsite; realising the potential of UK utility scale deployment from 2020 and beyond.
Going into its fifth year over 200 delegates from 150 companies and 20 countries representing the PV supply chain will gather in Malaysia to discuss the technology roadmaps for PV cell advancement in GW markets. The scope of the event has been expanded this year, to cover developments in wafer supply and thin-film investments and technologies alongside all the regular benefits to all stakeholders tracking PV technology and investment trends for the next 5 years.
Understand fully the technical and logistical supply chains that determine the production and performance of solar modules, including all related factors impacting quality, reliability & bankability.