Project focus: SunPower completes 1MW Agilent project, signs deal with Etrion for 4MW more in Italy

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email

SunPower has completed one solar power project in California, and signed a deal for a series of others in Italy. The company finished a nonpenetrating, high-efficiency 1MW rooftop photovoltaic system on three buildings at Agilent Technologies’ headquarters in Santa Clara, CA, and also reached an agreement with Canadian energy company Etrion to build four solar power plants, totaling 4MW, in the Puglia region of southern Italy.

The Agilent system marks SunPower’s second project with the test and measurement company, following its design and installation of a 1MW tracking array at Agilent’s Santa Rosa campus last year. Agilent, which expects to save $3.5 million in energy costs in the first decade of operation, owns the renewable energy credits and all environmental attributes associated with the system.

The first of the four Italian PV projects is slated to begin construction by the end of November, with first electricity sales from the projects under the Italian feed-in-tariff regime expected during the third quarter of 2010, the company said. SunPower will design and build the ground-mounted plants—which will feature its Tracker technology–and provide operations and maintenance services.

The Italian bank, Centrobanca, is financing 83% of the project, while an Etrion subsidiary is contributing the remaining 17% of anticipated costs.

SunPower has seen a sharp increase in activity in Italy this year. With partner Bluenergia, it began construction last month on a 1MW system in the Puglia region, with plans to start building another 1MW plant later this year. The solar firm says it will finish construction on the 24MW Montalto di Castro site (set to be the largest PV power station in Italy, when completed) by year’s end and has already completed a 5MW system in Tolentino.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Unlock unlimited access for 12 whole months of distinctive global analysis

Photovoltaics International is now included.

  • Regular insight and analysis of the industry’s biggest developments
  • In-depth interviews with the industry’s leading figures
  • Unlimited digital access to the PV Tech Power journal catalogue
  • Unlimited digital access to the Photovoltaics International journal catalogue
  • Access to more than 1,000 technical papers
  • Discounts on Solar Media’s portfolio of events, in-person and virtual

Or continue reading this article for free

Read Next

Premium
July 24, 2024
Policies in the EU and US to impose a carbon price on imported materials and goods will inevitably hit solar manufacturers.
July 24, 2024
The power purchase agreement consists of a portfolio of six solar PV projects located in the Italian regions of Lazio and Emilia Romagna.
July 24, 2024
A roundup of two agrivoltaics projects from different sides of the world, from US PV developer Avangrid and Lodestone Energy in New Zealand.
July 24, 2024
In Q2 2024, Enphase Energy shipped 574,000 microinverters from its US facilities, which benefit from the 45X production tax credits.
July 24, 2024
AEMO has granted BrightNight approval to connect its Mortlake Energy Hub, which includes solar and storage facilities, to the Victoria grid.
Sponsored
July 24, 2024
Sungrow's Lei Wang discusses the company's floating solar activities and opportunities for PV to go offshore.

Subscribe to Newsletter

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Webinars
July 31, 2024
1:00 PM (BST) / 2:00PM (CEST)
Solar Media Events
September 24, 2024
Warsaw, Poland
Solar Media Events
September 24, 2024
Singapore, Asia
Solar Media Events
October 8, 2024
San Francisco Bay Area, USA