SMA America, Inc.’s Sunny Central 250U solar inverters have been used for the second-largest solar farm in Hawaii. The design/build alternative energy company and Hawaii’s largest locally owned solar integrator, Sunetric, installed a 500kW system at Wilcox Memorial Hospital on the island of Kauai.
The solar farm, which is the first solar farm installation at a Hawaii hospital, generates 740,000kWh a year, enough electricity to power 85 homes, and spans 1.4 acres. 2,190 SunPower solar panels combine with three SMA Sunny Central 250U inverters to convert energy for the hospital. The project saves the hospital US$250,000 a year by cutting 52% of its electricity costs.
Sunetric’s Vice President of Business Development, Todd Georgopapadakos said, “In 2008, we installed more PV than anyone else in Hawaii, and we choose SMA inverters because their strong track record for success, reliability and sealed design gives us confidence.”
SMA America, Inc. is the US subsidiary of the German-based company SMA Solar Technology AG, which is a solar inverter technology company with divisions in nine countries on four continents.
Unlock unlimited access for 12 whole months of distinctive global analysis
Photovoltaics International is now included.
- Regular insight and analysis of the industry’s biggest developments
- In-depth interviews with the industry’s leading figures
- Unlimited digital access to the PV Tech Power journal catalogue
- Unlimited digital access to the Photovoltaics International journal catalogue
- Access to more than 1,000 technical papers
- Discounts on Solar Media’s portfolio of events, in-person and virtual