Chinese semiconductor foundry Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp. (SMIC) has announced plans to spin off its solar cell and chip packaging and testing units. The Reuters report claimed that the company would list the spun-off divisions’ shares and set up new solar cell production lines in Shanghai.
The report, which cited Taiwan’s Commercial Times newspaper, said that SMIC also plans the combination of its Chengdu and Shanghai packaging and testing operations. Should the venture prove profitable, SMIC will list the new combined unit on the domestic market within three years
Unlock unlimited access for 12 whole months of distinctive global analysis
Photovoltaics International is now included.
- Regular insight and analysis of the industry’s biggest developments
- In-depth interviews with the industry’s leading figures
- Unlimited digital access to the PV Tech Power journal catalogue
- Unlimited digital access to the Photovoltaics International journal catalogue
- Access to more than 1,000 technical papers
- Discounts on Solar Media’s portfolio of events, in-person and virtual