Solar jobs in Europe could exceed 1.1m if EC raises renewables target to 45%

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email
Around 80% of all solar jobs in Europe are current in solar deployment activities. Image: Lightsource BP.

Solar jobs in Europe will double to 742,000 by 2030 when based on the current European Commission (EC) target of 40% renewables. But if this target is raised to 45% by 2030, and solar jobs on the continent would triple to 1.1 million.

That’s according to the latest EU Solar Jobs Report 2021, published by SolarPower Europe.

The report said that job growth could rise 30% year-on-year under the EC’s medium scenario to 463,000 by the end of 2021, with the number hitting 584,000 by 2025, and eventually 742,000 by 2030.

However, it has also assessed the potential for job growth under a more ambitious EC target of 45% renewables by 2030, which is being pushed for by SolarPower Europe. This would triple today’s solar jobs to 1.1 million by 2030.

As such, the report recommends raising EU targets, along with creating a clearer industrial strategy, addressing job bottlenecks and promoting diversity among the workforce.  

It estimated that the solar industry generated round 357,000 jobs in 2020, with 42% (150,000) directly employed by the sector, with the remaining 58% (207,000) indirect jobs. The vast majority of all jobs (80%) are in solar deployment activities, with O&M accounting for 10%, manufacturing 6%, and decommissioning/recycling making up 4%.

“As the most flexible and low-cost energy source, the European solar sector must expand rapidly to meet the continent’s climate goals, and so it follows that the solar workforce must expand rapidly too,” said Walburga Hemetsberger, CEO of SolarPower Europe. 

“We now need EU Member States to facilitate the urgent training and development of a skilled workforce to fill these crucial jobs.” 

In August a report by LUT University in Finland that suggested jobs across the global solar PV sector could increase almost 10-fold by 2050 if 2050 net zero targets are realised.

29 November 2022
PV ModuleTech EMEA in Madrid on 29-30 November 2022 will address the factors underpinning the changing PV module landscape, gathering together all the key stakeholders across the value-chain from module production to field testing. Join us for presentations from the leading players in the sector, clearly identifying the opportunities and challenges set to impact module supply to Europe and the Middle-East over the next few years.

Read Next

PV Tech Premium
September 23, 2022
Plans for a temporary revenue cap on solar PV assets across the European Union (EU) could dent investor confidence in renewables, experts have warned, amid concerns that individual member states may be able to set lower caps specific to different technologies.
September 21, 2022
Under the REPowerEU scenario to install 750GWdc of solar across the European Union by 2030, the bloc will require 1 million solar workers, double the numbers from 2021.
September 16, 2022
Industry association SolarPower Europe has welcomed a proposal from the European Commission on an EU market ban for products made using forced labour.
September 15, 2022
The European Parliament has backed plans to increase the European Union’s (EU) renewable targets as it grapples with the fallout of the war in Ukraine and the rampant energy crisis.
September 14, 2022
Solar PV plants across the European Union could be subject to a temporary revenue cap under new proposals aimed at helping energy consumers reduce their bills. 
September 14, 2022
Despite “breakthrough” renewables growth across Southeast and Eastern Europe, the Caucasus and Central Asia in recent years, more needs to be done to boost deployment and reduce the region’s reliance on Russian energy imports.

Subscribe to Newsletter

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Webinars
September 27, 2022
15:30 AEST (UTC +10)
Solar Media Events
October 4, 2022
New York, USA
On-Demand Webinars, Solar Media Events
October 11, 2022
Virtual event
Upcoming Webinars
October 18, 2022
10am (EDT) / 4pm (CEST)