Solarcentury to build Spanish 200MW portfolio after stake sale

April 17, 2019
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email
The projects near Seville should be ready for grid linking by 2020 (Credit: Solarcentury)

Solarcentury has offloaded a majority stake in a 200MW PV portfolio in southern Spain, which it will work to build starting this summer.

The British solar developer has yet to disclose the identity of the majority buyer for the four 50MW projects ‘Cerrado Cabrera’, ‘El Primo Alemán’, ‘Hazas de los Sesenta’ and ‘Los González’, cleared for construction last November in Alcalá de Guadaira (near Seville).

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Try Premium for just $1

  • Full premium access for the first month at only $1
  • Converts to an annual rate after 30 days unless cancelled
  • Cancel anytime during the trial period

Premium Benefits

  • Expert industry analysis and interviews
  • Digital access to PV Tech Power journal
  • Exclusive event discounts

Or get the full Premium subscription right away

Or continue reading this article for free

Solarcentury said it will build, run and manage the ‘La Cabrera’ group of four mostly on its own, once full financial close is reached. The developer will work alongside partner and local engineering firm Texla, as earlier statements had indicated.

The stake divestment comes amid speculation that a sale could too lie on the horizon for the entire Solarcentury group. Last week, investment bank Evercore was said by Sky News to have been hired to run a £250 million (US$325 million) auction process for the UK developer.

Over in Alcalá de Guadaira, work on the 200MW portfolio should see the four PV plants linked to the grid in 2020. the power they generate after that point should cover the demand of 105,000 households, according to Solarcentury.

As noted by the firm’s chief executive Frans van den Heuvel, this is the second large-scale PV project it is deploying on a subsidy-free basis in Spain.

Its 300MW Talayuela installation in Cáceres – some 400 kilometres north – went down the same route after signing a PPA with an undisclosed offtaker last October. Since that same month, the project has been co-owned between renewable operator Encavis (80%) and Solarcentury (20%) after the former bought a majority stake.

Solarcentury claims to be working on a 5GW solar pipeline across the globe, spanning auction-backed projects in France, PV mini-grids in Eritrea, utility-scale in the Netherlands, Nigeria and Chile, amongst others.

Read Next

February 17, 2026
Lyra Energy has signed PPAs with three commercial and industrial offtakers covering a significant share of its 255MW solar PV project in Thakadu, South Africa.
February 17, 2026
Researchers at Germany’s Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy have claimed two new record efficiencies in tandem PV modules.
February 17, 2026
Quality assurance provider Intertek has acquired Aerial PV Inspection, a specialist in drone-enabled solar site inspections.
February 17, 2026
Jupiter International has commissioned its 1GW third solar cell production line online at its Baddi facility in Himachal Pradesh.
February 17, 2026
Chinese manufacturers dominate PV Tech Research’s new inverter bankability rating report, but recent EU and US policies targeting Chinese-made inverters may create opportunities for other companies.
February 17, 2026
ACEN Australia has announced the integration of its 400MW Stubbo Solar project in New South Wales into its AU$750 million (US$530 million) non-recourse portfolio debt facility.

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Webinars
February 18, 2026
9am PST / 5pm GMT
Solar Media Events
March 24, 2026
Dallas, Texas
Solar Media Events
April 15, 2026
Milan, Italy
Solar Media Events
June 16, 2026
Napa, USA
Solar Media Events
October 13, 2026
San Francisco Bay Area, USA