Complementing the company’s installation of a turnkey PV module manufacturing line, Spire Corp. has been commissioned to supply US$54.9 million of solar cells to the Federal Prison Industries, Inc., also known as UNICOR, at the Federal Correctional Institution (FCI) in Otisville, New York. The aim is for the FCI Otisville inmates to be trained to use the module line, thereby preparing them for employment in the growing solar industry, while the modules manufactured at the plant will be used in government installations.
“We are excited to win this solar cell supply contract with UNICOR, which complements our existing services to UNICOR in supplying not only the turnkey module manufacturing line, but also the process technology and training to operate the line, as well as assistance in qualifying the factory and its modules to international standards and certification,” said Roger G. Little, Chairman and CEO of Spire Corporation. “The United States represents a huge growing market for photovoltaics. We are delighted to play a leading role in the training of people for this industry which requires more and more skilled labor.”
Unlock unlimited access for 12 whole months of distinctive global analysis
Photovoltaics International is now included.
- Regular insight and analysis of the industry’s biggest developments
- In-depth interviews with the industry’s leading figures
- Unlimited digital access to the PV Tech Power journal catalogue
- Unlimited digital access to the Photovoltaics International journal catalogue
- Access to more than 1,000 technical papers
- Discounts on Solar Media’s portfolio of events, in-person and virtual