Sputtering Materials has released new analytical results showing improvements in high density (99 %+) CIG planar targets for thin film solar manufacturers. In particular the results are aimed at improving the deposition of CIG based films and assisting companies into volume production. The company said that it has spent over three years developing a process for casting CIG and CIG doped targets for research and production, SMI is also working on similarly difficult alloys to cast.
“The experience we have gained developing CIG PVD targets over the past 3 and a half years has given us valuable experience that helped refine our planar targets into the industry leading quality material that thin film CIGS manufacturers can depend on,” said Greg Howard, Vice President of Sputtering Materials, Inc. Planar target sizes range from 2″ dia to 6″ dia and up to 6″ x 6″ tile casting for multi-tile CIG target assemblies. SMI can also provide larger custom sizes on a development basis.
Unlock unlimited access for 12 whole months of distinctive global analysis
Photovoltaics International is now included.
- Regular insight and analysis of the industry’s biggest developments
- In-depth interviews with the industry’s leading figures
- Unlimited digital access to the PV Tech Power journal catalogue
- Unlimited digital access to the Photovoltaics International journal catalogue
- Access to more than 1,000 technical papers
- Discounts on Solar Media’s portfolio of events, in-person and virtual
Or continue reading this article for free
Sputtering Materials believes that casted targets offer a greater deposited material density enabling greater control and better material utilization.
Image 1: SEM/EDS (Area) Image of Casted CIG Planar Target with 500 micron scale.Note: the black specks in the image are Silicon media used in sample preparation.
Image 2: Summary results
Element Weight %