Adani Green Energy to buy SB Energy’s 5GW solar and wind portfolio

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on reddit
Reddit
Share on email
Email
Image: SB Energy Solar Plant.

Solar developer Adani Green Energy has announced plans to buy SoftBank-backed renewable energy company SB Energy Holdings in a deal with an enterprise value of US$3.5 billion.

The acquisition includes a renewable project portfolio with a total capacity of close to 5GW spread across four states in India.

Adani Green Energy said on Wednesday (19 May) that it would buy an 80% stake in the business from SoftBank Group, and the remaining 20% from Indian conglomerate Bharti Group.

The company said it is India’s largest renewable energy acquisition to-date, consisting of 4,180MW of solar projects, 1,400MW of which is already online. It also includes 450MW of solar-wind hybrid projects, and 324MW of wind power plants. SoftBank has invested more than US$800 million in its energy subsidiary in the past five years.

All projects will supply electricity to sovereign counterparties including Solar Energy Corporation of India Ltd, NTPC Limited and NHPC Limited through a series of 25-year power purchase agreements.

Gautam Adani, Adani Group’s chairman, said that the acquisition will support the company’s aim to become “the world’s largest solar player by 2025 and thereafter the world’s largest renewable company by 2030.” Adani Green Energy’s renewables capacity stands at around 3,245MW, and analysis from consultancy JMK Research has shown that it currently has India’s largest operating portfolio of utility-scale solar and wind assets. The company has received interest from French oil and gas major Total, which acquired a 20% stake in the company at the start of the year. The Paris-headquartered firm has previously formed a joint venture with the developer in October 2020.

This latest deal, the company said, will enable Adani Green Energy to reach its target of 25GW of renewable power capacity four years ahead of schedule.

This will also be bolstered by the development of 3GW of PV capacity that was secured in an auction in the state of Andhra Pradesh last February. In addition, Adani Green Energy raised a US$1.35 billion debt package in March from a dozen global banks to support the construction of a 1.69GW hybrid portfolio of solar and wind projects in Rajasthan.

The Adani chairman said that its newly expanded portfolio of projects will “lay the foundation for attracting several other global industries that are increasingly looking to reduce their carbon footprint”, as well as open up the potential to expand into hydrogen production and battery energy storage.

Read Next

November 2, 2021
India has pledged to have 500GW of renewable capacity, accounting for 50% of its energy mix, by 2030.
October 27, 2021
India installed around 8,811MW of solar between January and September 2021, a 280% increase on the same period of 2020, according to JMK Research & Analytics.
October 4, 2021
Indian renewable energy company Adani Green Energy has completed its acquisition of a 5GW renewable portfolio from SB Energy India, including more than 4GW of solar power.
September 27, 2021
A new support scheme from India’s government to boost the domestic manufacture of PV modules has seen 18 bidders submit 54.8GW of applications, according to consultancy JMK Research & Analytics.
September 21, 2021
India added 521MW of rooftop solar in Q2 2021, an increase of 517% compared to the 85MW added in the same quarter last year despite a slight increase in costs, according to a Mercom India report.
September 6, 2021
India-based renewables developer Adani Green Energy has raised US$750 million through a green bond offer, securing the debt and equity needed to reach a 25GW renewables target.

Subscribe to Newsletter

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events
December 1, 2021
Solar Media Events
February 1, 2022
London, UK
Solar Media Events
February 23, 2022
London, UK
Solar Media Events
March 23, 2022
Austin, Texas, USA
Solar Media Events
March 29, 2022
Lisbon, Portugal