REC Silicon halves production at US plant as China poly trade row bites

July 16, 2015
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email

REC Silicon has revealed that it will halve production at its Moses Lake facility in Washington State as a result of the ongoing polysilicon trade dispute with China.

The cut in the fluidised bed reactor (FBR) production has taken 2000MT off its 2015 production guidance. It also announced that planned expansions at the facility are on hold.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Try Premium for just $1

  • Full premium access for the first month at only $1
  • Converts to an annual rate after 30 days unless cancelled
  • Cancel anytime during the trial period

Premium Benefits

  • Expert industry analysis and interviews
  • Digital access to PV Tech Power journal
  • Exclusive event discounts

Or get the full Premium subscription right away

Or continue reading this article for free

“In spite of being the world's lowest cost producer of solar grade polysilicon, we are no longer able to access the Chinese market without a 57% duty,” said Tore Torvund, CEO, REC Silicon. “None of our global competitors outside of the US face this duty, so it is only adversely affecting the two US polysilicon producers that were previously accessing China.”

Wacker Chemie negotiated a minimum import price agreement with China that excuses it from the duties.

“We have experienced very real consequences from this ongoing trade war and it is hard to see that it will be resolved without mutual agreement from both the US and China. Regrettably, due to the effects of the trade dispute, in order to adapt to the present situation, we have decided to undertake roughly 50% reduction in the production capacity in Moses Lake for the rest of the year,” Torvund said, adding that this capacity can be put back to work should a settlement be agreed between the US and China. The company told PV Tech there would be no job losses as a result of the temporary shutdown with existing staff replacing contracters for maintenance duties, ensuring the plant is ready for a restart and lowering costs.

Results

The company’s Q2 revenue of US$93 million was up on the previous quarter’s US$74.4 million but down on the Q2 2014 figure of 126.9 million.

The company also revealed it continued to see better than expected cost saving from its FBR technology of US$11/kg compared to its target figure of US$11.5/kg.

Read Next

November 28, 2025
The EBRD will invest in a 531MW solar PV portfolio in Romania from Israeli renewables company Nofar Energy.
November 28, 2025
The European Patent Office (EPO) has revoked a patent for a key solar cell manufacturing process, which has been hailed as “good news” for European solar PV manufacturing.
November 28, 2025
LONGi has acquired system integrator PotisEdge, and plans to launch an ‘Energy Storage One-Stop Solution’.
November 28, 2025
Chinese module manufacturer Huasun Energy has launched a new heterojunction module with a 760 W output, a 2,000 V system voltage and 24.5% module efficiency.
Premium
November 27, 2025
Prateek Tare tells PV Tech Premium how Distributed Energy Infrastructure transformed a Superfund site into the Acton PV-plus-storage project.
November 27, 2025
The World Bank will invest in a huge 4GW, 5.12GWh solar-plus-storage complex in Malaysia, which will form part of a pan-Southeast Asian power grid initiative.

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events
December 2, 2025
Málaga, Spain
Upcoming Webinars
December 4, 2025
2pm GMT / 3pm CET
Solar Media Events
February 3, 2026
London, UK
Solar Media Events
March 24, 2026
Dallas, Texas
Solar Media Events
April 15, 2026
Milan, Italy