Rio Tinto to embark in solar, wind build-out as part of ‘net-zero’ pledge

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email
Source: Rio Tinto, Facebook

Rio Tinto will spend US$1 billion on “climate-related” projects over the next five years in order to reduce operational emissions to zero by 2050, it said in annual results posted on Wednesday.

The green package will be spread between investing in wind and solar plants, deploying electric equipment, funding the development of a zero-carbon aluminium processing technology, and improving water and tailings waste management.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Unlock unlimited access for 12 whole months of distinctive global analysis

Photovoltaics International is now included.

Not ready to commit yet?
  • Regular insight and analysis of the industry’s biggest developments
  • In-depth interviews with the industry’s leading figures
  • Unlimited digital access to the PV Tech Power journal catalogue
  • Unlimited digital access to the Photovoltaics International journal catalogue
  • Access to more than 1,000 technical papers
  • Discounts on Solar Media’s portfolio of events, in-person and virtual

Or continue reading this article for free

The Australian miner said it intends to reduce Scope 1 greenhouse gas emissions (produced by its own direct activities) and Scope 2 emissions (produced by the electricity it buys and uses) by 15% by 2030. It claims to have already reduced operational emissions by 18% since 2008.

“Our growth, overall, between now and 2030 will be carbon neutral,” the report reads, although it does not go into any further detail.

Rio Tinto generates 76% of its power from renewables, according to the document.

Rio Tinto unveiled plans in mid-February to invest US$98 million in building a 34MW solar array and a 12MWh battery system at its iron ore mine in Western Australia. The plant will be the company’s first proprietary solar facility, although it buys solar power at its bauxite operation in Weipa, north Queensland.

BHP, the only miner in the world larger than Rio Tinto, committed to reaching “net-zero emissions” by 2050 last year, as part of a US$400 million plan.

Scope 3 emissions omitted from carbon accounting

The report makes no mention of measuring or curbing Scope 3 emissions, the greenhouse gases produced by end customers and other sources external to Rio Tinto itself.

Less than one year ago, Rio Tinto recommended that shareholders vote against a resolution forcing the company to report Scope 3 emissions.

But after rival BHP committed tackling Scope 3 emissions a couple months later, Rio Tinto changed tack, striking a deal with its biggest iron ore customer, Baowu Steel Group, to explore new methods of reducing carbon emissions further down the steel value chain.

Rio Tinto sold its last coal mine in 2018, making it the only diversified mining major with no coal assets.

Report notes soaring profits and braces for coronavirus impacts

Rio Tinto's annual update this week saw the company post its highest profit in eight years, with underlying earnings rising 18% to US$10.3bn. Overall revenue hit US$43.2 billion, a seven percent increase from 2018.

In a statement released alongside the results, Rio Tinto chief executive Jean-Sébastien Jacques said that the firm – which exports millions of tonnes of iron ore to Chinese steel mills – is “closely monitoring” the impact of the Covid-19 virus.

“[We] are prepared for some short-term impacts, such as supply-chain issues. Our products are currently reaching our customers,” the executive said.

Read Next

August 28, 2025
Developer Pacific Energy has successfully commissioned a 26MW solar-plus-storage site at the Atlas-Campaspe mine in NSW, Australia.
August 26, 2025
The Australian Government’s CER approved 56 new power stations, with 797MW of renewable energy capacity, in July this year.
August 22, 2025
The Australian Renewables Income Fund (ARIF), a renewable energy fund managed by Foresight Group, has raised AU$700 million (US$779 million) in a debt refinancing transaction.
August 22, 2025
AEMO has predicted the NEM will see a steady rise in renewable energy generation capacity, reaching 229TWh by 2035.
August 20, 2025
New South Wales, Australia's most coal-dependent state, will transition from 40% to 90% renewable energy by 2035, according to grid operator Transgrid's latest planning report.
August 19, 2025
Australia’s Clean Energy Council has appointed Jackie Trad as its new chief executive officer, following the departure of Kane Thornton.

Subscribe to Newsletter

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events
September 16, 2025
Athens, Greece
Solar Media Events
September 30, 2025
Seattle, USA
Solar Media Events
October 1, 2025
London, UK
Solar Media Events
October 2, 2025
London,UK
Solar Media Events
October 7, 2025
Manila, Philippines