Power Holdings Co. Ltd. has acquired a minority stake in Shunda
Holdings, a China-based solar wafer manufacturer. The transaction saw
Suntech hand over $98.9 million to Actis, a private equity investor for
emerging markets, and to Waichun Investment Fund.
Suntech has also signed a 13-year silicon supply agreement with one of Shunda’s subsidiaries, which will see Shunda supply Suntech with approximately 530-540MW volume of silicon wafers per year from 2008 to 2020. The total supply over the contract lifetime is approximately 7GW.
“This strategic investment and long-term supply agreement will be instrumental in the profitable and rapid growth of both Suntech and Shunda,” said Dr. Zhengrong Shi, Chairman and CEO, Suntech. “This is another example of how we can leverage funds raised through our recent convertible notes offering to pursue strategic investments and high volume contracts that strengthen the long-term cost structure of our business model.”
Unlock unlimited access for 12 whole months of distinctive global analysis
Photovoltaics International is now included.
- Regular insight and analysis of the industry’s biggest developments
- In-depth interviews with the industry’s leading figures
- Unlimited digital access to the PV Tech Power journal catalogue
- Unlimited digital access to the Photovoltaics International journal catalogue
- Access to more than 1,000 technical papers
- Discounts on Solar Media’s portfolio of events, in-person and virtual
Or continue reading this article for free
By Síle Mc Mahon