Frontier to acquire Waroona to form new Australian company with 335MW solar portfolio

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email
Frontier Energy’s Bristol Springs solar project will have a power capacity of 114MW. Image: Frontier Energy

Australian power company Frontier Energy has signed a letter of intent with fellow Australian firm Waroona Energy to acquire the company, to create a new Australian renewable power firm with a solar portfolio of 355MW.

Frontier already owned one-fifth of the shares of Waroona, and this deal will create a new company, that is yet unnamed. The new company will own Frontier and Waroona’s flagship solar projects, both of which are under development in Western Australia, and boast a capacity of 114MW and 241MW, respectively.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Unlock unlimited access for 12 whole months of distinctive global analysis

Photovoltaics International is now included.

  • Regular insight and analysis of the industry’s biggest developments
  • In-depth interviews with the industry’s leading figures
  • Unlimited digital access to the PV Tech Power journal catalogue
  • Unlimited digital access to the Photovoltaics International journal catalogue
  • Access to more than 1,000 technical papers
  • Discounts on Solar Media’s portfolio of events, in-person and virtual

Or continue reading this article for free

“Frontier shareholders will realise significant value from this transaction, which creates the largest integrated, grid connected, utility-scale renewable energy project in Western Australia,” said Grant Davey, Frontier executive chairman. “The transaction brings an additional grid connection, increased freehold land, and a strengthened balance sheet and cash balance.

“Combining Frontier and Waroona will set the scene for a final investment decision in 2024 and provide the opportunity to develop a larger project in the fastest and most capital efficient manner, while also creating the critical mass required to secure financing,” added Davey.

The deal could go a long way towards realising Frontier’s long-term ambition of developing a green hydrogen facility in Australia, and help inform its decision-making in 2024. The company completed feasibility studies on its project earlier this year, and found that the construction of a 114MW solar project could generate 4.9 million kilograms of green hydrogen per year, so the deal could be a positive development for both the solar and hydrogen sectors.

Frontier also noted that the new company could have the potential to develop an additional 1GW of renewable power capacity, although did not specify if this would come from solar power, or another source.

As part of the transaction, Frontier will acquire 622.5 million Waroona shares, in exchange for A$56.5 million (US$36 million) in Frontier shares. Waroona shareholders will also receive one new Frontier share for every 4.27 shares held in Waroona, leaving Waroona shareholders with ownership of 31% of the new company, with Frontier shareholders owning the remaining 69%.

The news is a positive development for those in the Australian renewable sector, after the Australian Energy Market Operator called for “urgent” investment into the country’s power infrastructure to ensure the grid can meet the country’s power needs.

Read Next

June 20, 2024
European Energy is seeking Queensland government approval to pursue a 1.3GWp (1.1GWac) solar PV project in Australia.
June 19, 2024
The Queensland government confirmed that Caloundra, Australia, will house a Local Renewable Energy Zone to triple rooftop solar generation.
June 19, 2024
ARENA has launched its global AUS$100 million ‘Solar ScaleUp Challenge’ aiming to stimulate innovation and collaboration in the solar sector.
June 18, 2024
Pacific Partnerships has gained development rights for one of Australia’s largest solar PV projects, with 700MW of generation capacity.
June 17, 2024
Yindjibarndi Energy Corporation’s 150MW solar farm is the first project approved via Western Australia’s ‘Green Energy Approvals Initiative’.
June 17, 2024
Enel Green Power Australia confirmed its AU$190 million solar-plus-storage project in NSW, Australia, will commence construction in Q3 2024.

Subscribe to Newsletter

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events
July 2, 2024
Athens, Greece
Solar Media Events
July 9, 2024
Sands Expo and Convention Centre, Singapore
Solar Media Events
September 24, 2024
Warsaw, Poland
Solar Media Events
September 24, 2024
Singapore, Asia