Norway sovereign wealth fund eyes renewables investments after debut deal

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on reddit
Reddit
Share on email
Email
The Borselle offshore wind farm (pictured) is NBIM’s first direct investment in renewable energy infrastructure. Image: Orsted.

Norway’s sovereign wealth fund is eyeing potential investments in solar generation assets after making its first foray into renewables infrastructure.

Earlier today the fund, which has a worth upwards of US$1.3 trillion, confirmed its first direct investment in renewable energy, taking a 50% stake in Orsted’s Borssele wind farm for US$1.63 billion.

Mie Holstad, chief real assets officer at Norges Bank Investment Management (NBIM), the fund’s manager, said the deal was in line with its strategy to “build a high-quality portfolio of wind and solar power generation assets”.

“The unlisted renewable energy infrastructure strategy supplements our existing unlisted real estate portfolio well, and we draw on our long experience with direct investment,” Holstad said.

NBIM chief executive officer Nicolai Tangen added that investments in infrastructure assets would help diversify the fund’s investment base, noting that the firm was looking forward to executing on further deals.

Norway’s sovereign wealth fund operates under a mandate that stipulates around 30% of its investments to be of a fixed-income nature, while the remaining 70% is allocated towards equity markets, featuring shares in a large number of companies worldwide.

While the majority of its energy-related equity investments outside of oil and gas are in public utilities, it does hold interests in a number of solar companies or entities with solar interests, including the likes of Xinyi Energy, GCL New Energy, Neoen, Sunrun, Array Technologies and Soltec.

A strategy update for the 2021/22 financial year, also published today, states the fund’s aim to “gradually build up” its renewable energy portfolio, focusing primarily on wind and solar projects. Of particular interest are those with reduced power price risk, those with stable cash flow and those with limited investment risk.

Furthermore, the strategy also states NBIM’s aim to invest “alongside high-quality partners with proven operational experience.”

Read Next

June 15, 2021
The US installed more than 5GWdc of solar capacity in Q1 2021, taking its cumulative capacity past the 100GW barrier, but supply chain constraints could pose a major barrier to further growth.
June 15, 2021
The confidence of renewable energy investors and developers stands at an “all-time high”, a new report by the American Council on Renewable Energy (ACORE) claims, however investment must surge in the coming years if the US is to meet decarbonisation goals.
June 14, 2021
Mozambique-based coal operator Ncondezi Energy has announced a joint venture (JV) with South African-based NESA to target South Africa’s C&I solar and storage markets.
June 3, 2021
Danish renewables developer Ørsted has said it plans to invest DKK 350 billion (US$57 billion) by 2027 to reach 50GW of installed clean energy capacity by the end of the decade.
PV Tech Premium
June 1, 2021
Liam Stoker explores solar’s role within the International Energy Agency’s net zero roadmap, charting its prospective journey to more than 14.5TW of installed capacity, a global and highly-skilled workforce and trillions of dollars of invested capital.
May 18, 2021
Major polysilicon provider Daqo New Energy has reported a rise in revenues as average selling prices (ASPs) inched upward in the opening quarter, however the firm’s ASPs could effectively double in Q2.

Subscribe to Newsletter

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events
June 15, 2021
Solar Media Events
July 6, 2021
Solar Media Events
August 24, 2021
Solar Media Events, Upcoming Webinars
October 6, 2021