Portugal to hold 1.75GW solar auction in mid-2019

February 25, 2019
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email

The Portuguese government has confirmed to media outlets it will arrange a 1.75GW auction for solar power in June or July, a move meant to drive an exponential surge of the industry within a decade.

João Pedro Matos Fernandes, minister for Environment and the Energy Transition, told Reuters the government will disclose by March or April the terms of an auction that will let smaller developers set a guaranteed price.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Try Premium for just $1

  • Full premium access for the first month at only $1
  • Converts to an annual rate after 30 days unless cancelled
  • Cancel anytime during the trial period

Premium Benefits

  • Expert industry analysis and interviews
  • Digital access to PV Tech Power journal
  • Exclusive event discounts

Or get the full Premium subscription right away

Or continue reading this article for free

Matos Fernandes, part of the socialist government of Portuguese primer António Costa since 2015, said the plan is to “deliberately bet” on promoting the solar industry. Only central Turkey can compare in Europe with the solar potential of the Algarve and Alentejo regions, the minister told the outlet.

The move comes as Portugal works to breathe new life into still-dormant PV sector, which according to government figures only supplied 1.5% of the national energy use in 2018, far behind wind’s and hydro’s (23% each).

The government’s roadmap foresees a tripling of installed capacity from 572MW in 2018 to 1.6GW by 2021. Between that year and 2030, the target soars to a far more ambitious 8.1GW-9.9GW goalpost.

Preparations are already being made to help integrate increasingly prevalent renewables. A €474m grid expansion plan was adopted by energy regulator ERSE last year, while interconnections with the rest of Europe and Morocco are seen by the government as a must-have going forward.

On the ground, in parallel to the government’s work, the appetite for Portuguese PV is steadily rising among foreign investors and developers.

Over the past two years alone, deals have been witnessed including Aquila’s acquisition of a 170MW pipeline, Reden Solar’s purchase of a 50MW portfolio, as well as the takeover by Allianz Capital Partners of a raft of zero-subsidy projects developed by WElink in Portugal and Spain. Developer BayWa r.e. recently told PV Tech it may follow suit, and consider Portuguese opportunities from its new Madrid office.

The success and struggles of Portuguese PV as it embraces the subsidy-free approach will take centre stage at the Large-Scale Solar Europe 2019 conference, set to take place in Lisbon on 26-27 March.

Read Next

February 17, 2026
Lyra Energy has signed PPAs with three commercial and industrial offtakers covering a significant share of its 255MW solar PV project in Thakadu, South Africa.
February 17, 2026
Researchers at Germany’s Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy have claimed two new record efficiencies in tandem PV modules.
February 17, 2026
Quality assurance provider Intertek has acquired Aerial PV Inspection, a specialist in drone-enabled solar site inspections.
February 17, 2026
Jupiter International has commissioned its 1GW third solar cell production line online at its Baddi facility in Himachal Pradesh.
February 17, 2026
Chinese manufacturers dominate PV Tech Research’s new inverter bankability rating report, but recent EU and US policies targeting Chinese-made inverters may create opportunities for other companies.
February 17, 2026
ACEN Australia has announced the integration of its 400MW Stubbo Solar project in New South Wales into its AU$750 million (US$530 million) non-recourse portfolio debt facility.

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Webinars
February 18, 2026
9am PST / 5pm GMT
Solar Media Events
March 24, 2026
Dallas, Texas
Solar Media Events
April 15, 2026
Milan, Italy
Solar Media Events
June 16, 2026
Napa, USA
Solar Media Events
October 13, 2026
San Francisco Bay Area, USA