Solarcentury starts construction on 300MW PV project in Spain

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on reddit
Reddit
Share on email
Email

PV company Solarcentury and PV/wind operator Encavis AG have started construction on the US$250.5 million Talayuela Solar Project, a 300MW PV project being developed in Cáceres, Extremadura, Spain. Once completed, it will be one of the largest and most powerful subsidy-free solar developments in Spain to date.

During the construction phase of the installation, up to 400 local jobs will be created, of which at least 100 will be hired from Talayuela, as part of an agreement with the city. The 300MW installation will be located over 822 hectares of land, which is equivalent to 1,644 football fields. Of that parcel of land, 320 hectares will be protected land designated to protecting and improving the natural environment and local wildlife.

Over the course of construction for the Talayuela project, Solarcentury will install approximately 977,000 solar panels. The plant is expected to be operational in the second half of 2020, capable of powering around 150,000 homes and reducing CO2 emissions by more than 170,000 tonnes annually. 

Neil Perry, CFO of Solarcentury, said: “Talayuela Solar is a truly positive milestone for Solarcentury and our industry, clearly demonstrating how solar energy can contribute to a 100% renewable future without the need for government subsidies, at the same time as creating jobs, improving biodiversity and making a real difference in the fight against climate chaos.”

Earlier this month, Solarcentury secured a €54.8 million finance facility to construct 500MW of solar farms in Spain, including the 300MW Talayuela project. The facility will also finance the 200MWp Cabrera array in Alcalá de Guadaira, near Sevilla in the south of the country.

Per an agreement struck between Solarcentury and Encavis back in October 2018, Encavis currently holds an 80% stake in the Talayuela plant, while Solarcentury retains the remaining 20% share.

Read Next

PV Tech Premium
September 15, 2021
Record-breaking power prices across Europe have turned the spotlight on the role fossil fuel plants play in generating electricity and how the transition to renewables-plus-storage could lower consumer bills.
September 7, 2021
Supply disruptions in the coal and gas sectors have contributed to record electricity costs across Europe, leading to calls for more support for renewables generation to mitigate future price rises.
PV Tech Premium
September 1, 2021
Spain’s renewables auction next month is set to receive high levels of interest from solar bidders, according to industry observers, as the country’s government seeks to support the swift deployment of new capacity following a summer beset by record-breaking electricity prices.
August 20, 2021
Solar PV plants generated 10% of the EU-27’s electricity demand during June and July this year, new analysis by energy thinktank Ember has found.
August 17, 2021
Spain will carry out an auction this October for 3.3GW of solar PV and wind capacity as the country’s government aims to speed up renewables deployment in the face of soaring electricity bills.
August 16, 2021
German independent power producer (IPP) Encavis reported revenue growth in the first half of the year due to the contribution of two new Spanish PV plants that offset the impact of weaker weather conditions.

Subscribe to Newsletter

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events
October 6, 2021
Solar Media Events
October 19, 2021
BRISTOL, UK
Solar Media Events
December 1, 2021