Scatec Solar’s Ukranian 32MW scheme finds development backer

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email
The deal signed by Scatec Solar and FMO will unlock funding for 32MW Kamianka (Credit: FMO)

Scatec Solar has enlisted a development financier for a utility-scale project in Ukraine, one of a few it is working to deploy in the Eastern European state.

Dutch development bank FMO has agreed to acquire a 40% share of the 32MW Kamianka project, with Scatec Solar set to retain the remaining 60%.

The scheme is designed to produce an annual 39GWh, enough to cover the needs of over 10,000 Ukrainians. It is predicted to cost around €35 million (US$39.52 million), 70% of which will come in the form of non-recourse debt from the EBRD and FMO.

Scatec Solar will remain the EPC, O&M and asset management service provider for the project. The firm began construction in early 2019 and intends to take the plant to commercial launch during this year's fourth quarter, Scatec Solar explained.

The project is one of several Scatec Solar is building with support from Ukraine’s 10-year feed-in tariffs (FiT). The same subsidy arrangement will back the 148MW Progressovka plant, which EPC PowerChina Guizhou Engineering started building this week.

The Norwegian firm, responsible for a 500MW pipeline in Ukraine, is amongst those reaping FiT support before it is phased out in the Eastern state, replaced by deregulated auctions. The country is seen as an irradiation hotspot, but concerns remain over grid constraints and access to finance.

For Scatec Solar, the past few months have been busy in Ukraine and beyond.

The developer has completed batch after batch of an EBRD-backed 400MW bifacial PV complex in Egypt, worked on a 33MW scheme in Mali, linked a 65MW plant in Malaysia and become a finalist for a 3.5-4MW floating project in the Seychelles.

As for Dutch development financier FMO, its foray in Ukraine comes two months after it helped arrange funding of US$59.2 million for a 50MW project in Jordan, equipped with locally-sourced solar panels.

29 November 2022
PV ModuleTech EMEA in Malaga on 29-30 November 2022 will address the factors underpinning the changing PV module landscape, gathering together all the key stakeholders across the value-chain from module production to field testing. Join us for presentations from the leading players in the sector, clearly identifying the opportunities and challenges set to impact module supply to Europe and the Middle-East over the next few years.
28 June 2023
Join us in London for 2 days as we look at the UK’s new landscape for utility & rooftop solar. Understand the new opportunities within this GW-plus annual market!

Read Next

November 25, 2022
Finnish investment company Korkia has funded a partnership with Greek developers GH Energy and AA Sunshine to develop solar power parks in mainland Greece and Crete.
November 25, 2022
Ukrainian energy company DTEK has said it is ready to restart operations at the 10MW Tryfonivska solar power plant in the liberated Kherson region.
November 24, 2022
France-headquartered renewables provider Voltalia has signed a 350MW, 15-year solar power purchase agreement (PPA) with Renault Group.
November 23, 2022
Europe will benefit from a new research and innovation (R&I) project intended to advance the continent’s tandem solar PV cell manufacturing and production capabilities, focusing on tandem silicon-perovskite cells.
November 23, 2022
Prescinto, a renewable energy asset performance management (APM) platform, has entered into a partnership with Greek solar developer SunSolarWind IKE to apply its APM software to 70MW of solar PV projects.
November 22, 2022
Renewables developer Low Carbon has started building four solar farms in the Netherlands totalling 53.1MWp, with Belectric serving as engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) provider.

Subscribe to Newsletter

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events
November 29, 2022
Malaga, Spain
Solar Media Events
February 22, 2023
Leonardo Royal Hotel London Tower Bridge
Solar Media Events
March 14, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Solar Media Events
March 21, 2023
Lisbon, Portugal
Solar Media Events
June 6, 2023
Napa, USA