Hydro Rein, GIG to develop solar-wind hybrid in Brazil

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on reddit
Reddit
Share on email
Email
Hydro and GIG wind-solar project will consist of two phases, a 456MW wind project first and an option to add 130MW of solar later. Image: Anita Meisler.

Norwegian renewables developer Hydro Rein and Macquarie’s Green Investment Group (GIG) are to collaborate on a hybrid solar-wind project in Brazil.

Development of the hybrid project is to start with a first phase of 456MW of wind power, with an option to add 130MW of solar PV during a second phase.

The hybrid project is planned for the states of Piauí and Pernambuco, in the northeast of Brazil.

Long-term power purchase agreements have been signed with Hydro’s bauxite mine Paragominas and its alumina refinery Alunorte which would reduce Hydro’s use of coal and its planned phase out by 2030.

Final investment decision for the wind farm is expected by Q4 2022, with the solar PV project at a later stage. It’s anticipated the completed project would cost around US$700 million to complete.

Once completed, Hydro Rein would retain 49.9% of the project, while the remaining 50.1% would be held by GIG’s Renewable Energy Fund 2.

“We are very pleased to play a part in developing more renewable energy in Brazil together with Green Investment Group. This project is an important milestone in the efforts to decarbonize Alunorte and an important milestone for Hydro Rein developing its portfolio of Brazilian assets,” said Olivier Girardot, head of Hydro Rein.

Read Next

June 30, 2022
Voltalia has started the development of a cluster of solar PV projects in Brazil with a planned combined capacity of 1.5GW.
June 22, 2022
Large developers of hybrid projects in India could see a 17% equity IRR by implementing five measures, according to a report by the IEEFA.
June 20, 2022
Project developer Solar Philippines has submitted offers to contract output from 10GW of PV plants currently under development.
June 17, 2022
Chinese module manufacturer JinkoSolar has powered its first overseas factory with renewables only in Malaysia.
June 16, 2022
Current higher wholesale prices and favourable economics for renewables in Europe would have developers as the primary beneficiaries this decade, according to a report from advisory firm Edison Group.
June 15, 2022
Energy major bp will acquire a 40.5% stake in and become operator of a green hydrogen project in Western Australia that could feature up to 26GW of solar and wind when complete.

Subscribe to Newsletter

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events
October 4, 2022
New York, USA
Solar Media Events
October 11, 2022
Virtual event