India adds 3GW of solar capacity in Q1 as developers stockpile PV modules

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on reddit
Reddit
Share on email
Email
Rajasthan became the first state to install a cumulative of 10GW of large-scale solar PV. Image: Total Eren.

India installed 3GW of solar capacity in the first quarter of the year, a 50% increase from Q1 2021, according to a new report from research firm Mercom India Research.

During Q1 2022 large-scale solar added 2.7GW, a 53% year-over-year increase and accounted for 85% of total installations, with the remaining 15% from rooftop solar.

With the basic customs duty (BCD) taking effect in 1 April 2022, solar modules imports significantly increased with developers stockpiling them ahead of BCD and procured more than 10GW of modules during Q1 2022.

Renewables accounted for nearly 81% of new power capacity added during the first quarter of the year, 68% coming from solar PV.

Rajasthan led solar installations during Q1 2022 and became the first state to pass 10GW of cumulative large-scale solar PV as of March 2022 and accounts for almost a quarter of total installations in India.

Total installed solar capacity in India sits at 52GW, of which around 45GW is from large-scale solar, and according to Mercom’s report total installations for the year will not reach 80GW and miss its 100GW target for this year.

Tenders were halved during Q1 2022 to 5GW compared to last year’s Q1, and is also down 18% from Q4 2021 which sat at 6GW.

21 July 2022
The rooftop solar PV market is set for significant growth, but installers are being held back by complicated design software that is slow, cumbersome and fails to take into account rooftop shading, module compatibility and energy storage. Huawei’s SmartDesign 2.0 is a web-based PV and energy storage system tool that promises to solve all of those issues, and much more. This webinar will provide a live demonstration of the SmartDeisgn 2.0 tool, showing how installers can quickly complete Huawei PV & ESS system designs and assemble a professional report with 3D site view for potential customers, streamlining the design and sales service.

Read Next

June 29, 2022
An introduction to Huawei’s SmartDesign 2.0 tool, which produces 3D rooftop PV and energy storage system designs within 10 minutes.
June 27, 2022
Tata Power Solar Systems said it has commissioned India’s largest floating PV plant, a 101.6MWp project in the southern state of Kerala.
June 23, 2022
The world’s total solar capacity will reach 2,044GW by 2031, with China continuing to lead the way in deployment, making up nearly half (47%) of the world's 1,190GW net solar capacity additions through to 2031, according to research firm Fitch Solutions.
June 22, 2022
US EPC group CS Energy has secured three utility-scale solar projects with a total capacity of 365MWdc in New York from NYSERDA.
June 22, 2022
Large developers of hybrid projects in India could see a 17% equity IRR by implementing five measures, according to a report by the IEEFA.
June 21, 2022
State-owned utility GUVNL has opened a tender for renewables paired with energy storage to bring off-grid electricity in Gujarat, India.

Subscribe to Newsletter

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events
October 4, 2022
New York, USA
Solar Media Events
October 11, 2022
Virtual event