MoU signed for 2.6GW Mecca solar programme

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email
The documents signed over the weekend will see 600MW awarded through public tenders (Credit: Saudi Arabia's government)

A scheme to deploy a multi-gigawatt solar pipeline in Saudi Arabia stands closer to delivery after a memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed over the weekend.

The document rubberstamped on Saturday by Saudi prince Khalid Al-Faisal and Energy minister Khalid bin Abdul Aziz Al-Faleh lays the groundwork for the construction of 2.6GW in the Mecca region, under the Al Faisaliah scheme. 

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Unlock unlimited access for 12 whole months of distinctive global analysis

Photovoltaics International is now included.

Not ready to commit yet?
  • Regular insight and analysis of the industry’s biggest developments
  • In-depth interviews with the industry’s leading figures
  • Unlimited digital access to the PV Tech Power journal catalogue
  • Unlimited digital access to the Photovoltaics International journal catalogue
  • Access to more than 1,000 technical papers
  • Discounts on Solar Media’s portfolio of events, in-person and virtual

Or continue reading this article for free

Some 2GW of that total will be implemented directly by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) and “selected partners”, the government said in a statement over the weekend.

The MoU, signed at the fringes of the Mecca Economic Forum, will see the Energy Ministry carry out technical studies to ensure the 2.6GW scheme meets international standards. According to the government, up to 600MW will be publicly tendered by Saudi Arabia’s Renewable Energy Projects Development Office this year.

The programme, the statement said, will help diversify and strengthen the power supply in the Mecca region. The area is home to well over eight million inhabitants, attracting further millions every year through pilgrimage trips to the holy site known as the Kaaba.

The document did not shed any light on who in particular will be partnering alongside Saudi sovereign wealth fund PIF for the Mecca programme.

However, the organisation is known to be working with investment giant SoftBank to deliver a colossal solar push across the whole of Saudi Arabia. Last October, the Saudi fund had to deny media reports that the solar build-up plans – co-financed by SoftBank’s US$100 billion Vision fund, where PIF is one of the largest investors – were to be discarded.

Al Faisaliah aside, the programme’s tenders so far have sought to award contracts for 300MW projects in Rabigh and Jeddah, 200MW in Qurayyat, 50MW in Medina, 45MW in Rafha and 20MW in Mahd AlDahab.

Read Next

August 28, 2025
Bahraini, Chinese, Egyptian and Emirati groups have agreed to develop a new solar and storage manufacturing facility in Egypt
August 22, 2025
Saudi developer ACWA Power has started commercial operations of a 2.7GW solar PV portfolio in its home country.
August 20, 2025
The consortium building the Al Sadawi PV power plant in Saudi Arabia has reached financial close on the 2GW project.
August 18, 2025
Investment fund Stonepeak has launched a new Middle Eastern renewables platform headed up by a former executive at Jinko Power.
Premium
July 31, 2025
PV Tech Premium spoke with Qiaogiang Gan at KAUST on how the cooling technology helps improve solar cell application in harsher environments.
July 28, 2025
French energy major TotalEnergies has begun the construction of its 1GW solar farm in the Basra region of southern Iraq. 

Subscribe to Newsletter

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events
September 16, 2025
Athens, Greece
Solar Media Events
September 30, 2025
Seattle, USA
Solar Media Events
October 1, 2025
London, UK
Solar Media Events
October 2, 2025
London,UK
Solar Media Events
October 7, 2025
Manila, Philippines