Jinko, REC and EDF throw hat in ring for Dubai’s 800MW solar tender

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email
Dubai is aiming to install 5GW of solar at the site by 2030. Source: Flickr/Petter Palander

Around 20 bidders have entered the frame for the latest 800MW phase of Dubai’s flagship solar project, according to the Middle East Solar Industry Association.

The third tender in the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park drew attention from a wide range of players including Jinko Solar, SunEdison and REC Solar. A number of interesting partnerships have emerged. French utility Engie, which recently merged with SolaireDirect, has partnered with Japanese conglomerate Marubeni while Jinko Solar has partnered with German utility giant RWE. Regionally-owned developer Fotowatio Renewable Ventures is working with Abu Dhabi’s clean energy hub Masdar.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Unlock unlimited access for 12 whole months of distinctive global analysis

Photovoltaics International is now included.

Not ready to commit yet?
  • Regular insight and analysis of the industry’s biggest developments
  • In-depth interviews with the industry’s leading figures
  • Unlimited digital access to the PV Tech Power journal catalogue
  • Unlimited digital access to the Photovoltaics International journal catalogue
  • Access to more than 1,000 technical papers
  • Discounts on Solar Media’s portfolio of events, in-person and virtual

Or continue reading this article for free

The second round tender was won by Saudi Arabian power engineering firm ACWA Power and Spain’s Grupo TSK with a bid of US$0.0585/kWh. The 100MW tender was increased to 200MW following discussions with the winning consortium.

Former MESIA president Vahid Fotuhi said the interest in the subsequent 800MW round was a vote of confidence that prices in that bracket are achievable.

“MESIA has just learned that already 18 companies that have presented their credentials, that's a lot of companies. So the fact that that the last winning project was around 5.5 cents has not dissuaded project companies from stepping forward,” he told PV Tech.

MESIA also noted that the number of bidders in phase three has fallen citing the increased scale of the round. It also said that the Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA) will take a 60% interest in the project company formed to deliver the 800MW installation.

Dubai recently extended the targetd size of the solar park from 3GW to 5GW by 2030. It was originally planned as a 1GW facility with CSP and PV technologies installed.

The named interested parties so far are:

Engie-Marubeni
SunEdison
ACWA Power
EDF-Nebras
FRV-Masdar
Al Fanar-Building Energy
Jinko Solar-RWW
REC Solar-Viridis
M+W & Stumpf Energy
Tetratech
Acciona-Swicorp

Read Next

August 28, 2025
Bahraini, Chinese, Egyptian and Emirati groups have agreed to develop a new solar and storage manufacturing facility in Egypt
August 22, 2025
Saudi developer ACWA Power has started commercial operations of a 2.7GW solar PV portfolio in its home country.
August 20, 2025
The consortium building the Al Sadawi PV power plant in Saudi Arabia has reached financial close on the 2GW project.
August 18, 2025
Investment fund Stonepeak has launched a new Middle Eastern renewables platform headed up by a former executive at Jinko Power.
July 28, 2025
French energy major TotalEnergies has begun the construction of its 1GW solar farm in the Basra region of southern Iraq. 
July 22, 2025
The investigation launched on polysilicon under Section 232 could present the biggest supply chain challenge to the US solar industry, according to analyst Wood Mackenzie.

Subscribe to Newsletter

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events
September 16, 2025
Athens, Greece
Solar Media Events
September 30, 2025
Seattle, USA
Solar Media Events
October 1, 2025
London, UK
Solar Media Events
October 2, 2025
London,UK
Solar Media Events
October 7, 2025
Manila, Philippines