Australia’s Queensland dismisses retrospective cuts to solar bonus scheme

February 3, 2016
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email
The government ruled out the proposals immediately on day one. Flickr: Michael Coghlan

The state government of Queensland, which is the largest market in Australia for sub-100kW solar systems, has ruled out proposals for retrospective cuts to the state’s Solar Bonus Scheme.

The Queensland Productivity Commission (QPC), an independent economic review body which is undertaking an inquiry into electricity prices in Queensland, had issued a draft report earlier today, which recommended bringing an early end to the bonus scheme in order to bring down electricity prices. However the Queensland government ruled out the proposals immediately.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Try Premium for just $1

  • Full premium access for the first month at only $1
  • Converts to an annual rate after 30 days unless cancelled
  • Cancel anytime during the trial period

Premium Benefits

  • Expert industry analysis and interviews
  • Digital access to PV Tech Power journal
  • Exclusive event discounts

Or get the full Premium subscription right away

Or continue reading this article for free

Cutting the solar bonus scheme early ahead of its 2028 closure would affect hundreds of thousands of Queensland solar system owners that were enrolled on the programme.

QPC reported that the Solar Bonus Scheme had already met its objectives of stimulating the PV industry and making solar more affordable for homeowners. It said that added costs associated with the bonus scheme would reach AU$312 million (US$220 million) in 2015/16 and add AU$89 to the typical Queensland residential electricity bill.

QPC modelling also forecast that the majority of scheme participants will have recovered their capital costs by July 2020.

However, John Grimes, chief executive of the Australian Solar Council, said the commission’s proposal was a “crazy idea” – adding: “Queensland families made major investment decisions in good faith on the basis of Government guaranteed contracts for the life of the Solar Bonus Scheme.”

Campaign group Solar Citizens had also urged the government to reject the Commission proposals.

Reece Turner, consumer campaigner at Solar Citizens, said: “Queenslanders are on the frontline of installing rooftop solar with more than 440,000 homes powered by the sun – the government shouldn’t be holding them back.

“Whilst the report acknowledges that Queensland electricity prices have nearly doubled in the past decade as a result of network over-spends and ‘gold-plating’ of our poles and wires infrastructure, the commission has disparaged the solar and renewables industry which is allowing customers a means to shield themselves from electricity hikes.”

Rooftop solar in Queensland. Credit: QPC

Despite welcoming the government’s decision to rule out the proposals, Turner also called on state energy minister Mark Bailey to provide more security for solar owners and the large-scale solar industry.

In 2015 Queensland remained the largest market in the country for sub-100kW systems with 196MW installed, even though it contracted 23% from the previous year, according to the latest figures from Australia-based solar consultancy SunWiz.

In related news, Grimes said that the state government of Western Australian has not ruled out a proposal from state-owned utility Synergy for a new AU$800 “sun tax” on Western Australia solar families. A decision is expected to be made within the next month.
 
The Australian Solar Council has launched a major campaign in the state to prevent the new fees being introduced.

Read Next

November 24, 2025
Hydro Tasmania is seeking expressions of interest for wind and solar projects capable of delivering up to 1,500GWh of renewables annually.
November 20, 2025
Australia achieved a record-breaking 5.3GW of solar PV installations in 2024, marking a recovery for the market while highlighting the nation's unique position as a rooftop-dominated solar economy.
November 20, 2025
SunCable has submitted its 20GW Muckaty Solar Precinct proposal to Australia's EPBC Act for federal environmental assessment.
November 19, 2025
Recurrent Energy has sold its 275MWdc Gunning hybrid solar-plus-storage project in New South Wales, Australia.
November 18, 2025
The 94MW Gunsynd Solar Farm has been registered in AEMO's Market Management System as the Queensland project prepares for commissioning.
November 17, 2025
Renewable energy developer SunCable has signed an Indigenous Land Use Agreement (ILUA) with the Powell Creek Native Title Holders, marking a milestone for the company’s AAPowerLink project in Australia's Northern Territory.

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events
December 2, 2025
Málaga, Spain
Upcoming Webinars
December 4, 2025
2pm GMT / 3pm CET
Solar Media Events
February 3, 2026
London, UK
Solar Media Events
March 24, 2026
Dallas, Texas
Solar Media Events
April 15, 2026
Milan, Italy