PV tenders in Germany oversubscribed again

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email
All three tenders this year have been oversubscribed by more than double the available capacity for development. Image: Wirsol.

Another round of tenders to build ground mount PV power plants in Germany has been oversubscribed, with some 562MW of hopefuls entering the bidding for just 200MW of capacity.

This was the third round in a tender process which the European country implemented earlier this year to limit new ground mount installations to 1.2GW over three years. Germany’s regulator, the Bundesnetzagentur (Federal Network Agency) said today that 43 bids had been successful, representing 204MW of new capacity. Successful bidders would be informed by email, the agency said.

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Try Premium for just $1

  • Full premium access for the first month at only $1
  • Converts to an annual rate after 30 days unless cancelled
  • Cancel anytime during the trial period

Premium Benefits

  • Expert industry analysis and interviews
  • Digital access to PV Tech Power journal
  • Exclusive event discounts

Or get the full Premium subscription right away

Or continue reading this article for free

In total, 127 bids were received. The tenders were also opened up beyond project developers to allow cooperatives or individuals to take part, Bundesnetzagentur president Jochen Homann said, with two cooperatives among those bidders awarded projects.

The second round in August was oversubscribed three times over, while the first round in April saw 700MW of bids for 150MW of available capacity.

The introduction of the auction process this year has drawn the ire of several groups including German PV trade association BSW Solar. The arbitrary limiting of ground mount solar capacity is an enormous missed opportunity, especially when it can be competitive with “newly built coal-fired plants”, BSW Solar spokesman David Wedepohl told PV Tech in April.

Read Next

August 21, 2026
SA Power Networks will run its annual test of the state's rooftop solar curtailment system on 25 August in South Australia.
August 5, 2026
EnergyAustralia has admitted breaching the Electricity Retail Code by failing to make the Solar Sharer Offer available to eligible households from 1 July 2026.
August 5, 2026
Australia's federal government has announced it will expand the Small-scale Renewable Energy Scheme to cover solar installations of up to 1MW.
August 4, 2026
New Zealand has published the final report of its review into the residential and small-to-medium-scale solar installation process.
August 4, 2026
Australia's CEFC has committed AU$100 million (US$65.8 million) to a new programme targeting mid-scale hybrid solar-plus-storage projects.
July 31, 2026
Australia's installed cost of utility-scale solar has not fallen at the pace required to reach the country's “ultra-low-cost solar” (UCLS) ambitions, despite continued progress in cell and module efficiency.

Upcoming Events

Solar Media Events
October 13, 2026
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Solar Media Events
November 3, 2026
Málaga, Spain
Solar Media Events
November 24, 2026
Warsaw, Poland
Solar Media Events
February 2, 2027
London, UK
Solar Media Events
April 20, 2027
Istanbul, Türkiye