EWEC invites application for 1.5GW solar project in Abu Dhabi

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Email
The 1.2GW Abu Dhabi Noor solar project. Image: EWEC.

Abu Dhabi’s Emirates Water and Electricity Company (EWEC) has announced that it is receiving an Expression of Interest (EOI) from companies to develop a 1.5GWdc solar PV project located in the Al Khazna area of Abu Dhabi.

EWEC said the project will involve the plant’s development, financing, construction, operation, maintenance and ownership and associated infrastructure. The project will be implemented based on an independent producer and the winner of the bid will enter into a long-term power purchase agreement (PPA) with the EWEC. 

This article requires Premium SubscriptionBasic (FREE) Subscription

Unlock unlimited access for 12 whole months of distinctive global analysis

Photovoltaics International is now included.

  • Regular insight and analysis of the industry’s biggest developments
  • In-depth interviews with the industry’s leading figures
  • Unlimited digital access to the PV Tech Power journal catalogue
  • Unlimited digital access to the Photovoltaics International journal catalogue
  • Access to more than 1,000 technical papers
  • Discounts on Solar Media’s portfolio of events, in-person and virtual

Or continue reading this article for free

“Solar energy is an integral pillar of EWEC’s strategy in transitioning our portfolio to a low-carbon system and decarbonising electricity production,” said Othman Al Ali, CEO of EWEC.

“We continue to strategically invest in developing world-leading renewable projects that significantly accelerate our journey to meeting 60% of Abu Dhabi’s total power demand from renewable and clean energy sources by 2035, in addition to actively contributing to the achievement of the UAE’s sustainability objectives,” he added.

The EWEC did not unveil further operational or financial details of the project. The application for the project is open until 2 October 2023.

The EWEC added that the Khazna Solar PV project will be similar in scale and production capacity to Al Dhafra Solar PV and Al Ajban Solar PV. In January, the EWEC issued a request for proposals (RFP) to 19 companies and consortiums to develop a new solar PV project in Abu Dhabi with a power generation capacity of 1.5GW.

Solar Module Super League member (SMSL) Trina Solar announced that it had delivered 800MW of solar modules to the Al Dhafra PV plant in the UAE in July.

In the same month, the EWEC also announced that it was considering four bids from companies interested in constructing the new 1.5GW Al Ajban solar plant. The terms of the arrangement included shared ownership of the project, with the UAE government owning 60% and the bidder the remaining 40%, and the signing of a long-term PPA with EWEC.

Read Next

June 25, 2024
New modelling shows that electrification and flexibility can slash average day-ahead energy prices by 25% by 2030, and by 33% by 2040.
April 29, 2024
EWEC has awarded development rights for the 1.5GW Al Ajban solar project to French firm EDF Renewables and the Korean Western Power Company.
April 18, 2024
Abu Dhabi’s Emirates Water and Electricity Company (EWEC) has issued a request for proposals (RFPs) for a 1.5GW solar PV plant in Abu Dhabi.
Premium
April 1, 2024
Gareth Simkins examines the winning projects of AR5 and looks ahead to assess how solar is likely to fare in future rounds.
November 17, 2023
Encompassing about four million bi-facial solar modules, the project will supply power to the procurer of the project, Emirates Water and Electricity Company

Subscribe to Newsletter

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Webinars
July 31, 2024
1:00 PM (BST) / 2:00PM (CEST)
Solar Media Events
September 24, 2024
Warsaw, Poland
Solar Media Events
September 24, 2024
Singapore, Asia
Solar Media Events
October 8, 2024
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Solar Media Events
October 15, 2024
Santiago, Chile