Rubis acquires 80% of French solar developer Photosol for US$425m

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on reddit
Reddit
Share on email
Email
A 43MWp agrivoltaic project from Photosol in eastern France. Image: Photosol.

Fuel distribution company Rubis has entered the PV sector with the acquisition of a majority stake in Photosol, a France-based solar developer and independent power producer.

Specialising in utility-scale and agrivoltaic projects, Photosol has a portfolio of more than 400MWp of solar in operation or under construction as well as a 3GWp portfolio under development.

The acquisition, expected to close by the end of Q1 2022, will see Rubis purchase 80% of Photosol for €376 million (US$425 million), while the remaining 20% will be owned by the company’s founders and managers.

“We have been impressed by the similarities between Rubis and Photosol in the way both companies have developed focusing on the niche segments,” Photosol management said in a joint statement.

France’s Rubis has also created a new division focused on the development of renewable energy that will aim to own and operate more than 2.5GW of installed capacity by 2030.

Clarisse Gobin-Swiecznik, managing director at Rubis, said the combination of Rubis’s know-how with the skills of Photosol’s teams will allow the company to develop new projects and “become a leader in France regarding both ground-mounted and rooftop plants”.

Rubis also hopes to leverage its international footprint to support Photosol’s expansion overseas, in markets across Africa and the Caribbean.

The deal comes after Rubis started its diversification towards less-carbonised energies with a collaboration announced earlier this year with hydrogen company Hydrogène de France.

Other recent acquisitions in France’s solar sector include EDF Renewables and Cero Generation (a portfolio company of Macquarie’s Green Investment Group) each buying a 45% stake in agrivoltaics specialist Green Lighthouse Development.

Macquarie announced last month it is acquiring a 90% interest in French independent solar power producer Apex Energies Group from a consortium of investors.

Solar PV additions in France reached a new high this year of 2.5GW, according to trade body SolarPower Europe, which said permitting procedures need to be simplified for the country to reach its deployment targets.

Read Next

PV Tech Premium
January 18, 2022
olar project developer Eco Energy World is aiming to “aggressively” grow its US PV pipeline after formally entering the market last week and intends to replicate the cheaper engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) costs it sees in Europe in the country. PV Tech Premium speaks to CEO Svante Kumlin to find out more.
January 18, 2022
Corporate funding in the global solar sector reached a ten-year high in 2021 as the industry recovered from a COVID-affected 2020, new research from Mercom Capital Group reveals.
January 17, 2022
Spanish energy company Iberdrola has bet big on the UK market through the acquisition on 17 solar PV projects from Elgin Energy and Lightsource bp, taking the firm’s share of UK solar from 2% to 9% and making it one of the biggest players in the market.
PV Tech Premium
January 14, 2022
Raising more than US$1 billion in equity capital in the past year, US independent power producer (IPP) Silicon Ranch is looking to expand its model of developing, owning and operating large-scale PV plants while maintaining a strategy of co-locating projects with regenerative agriculture.
January 12, 2022
German asset manager KGAL Investment Management has acquired a combined 50% stake in renewables developer GP Joule Projects, with the two companies intent on taking advantage of the “immense growth opportunities” of renewables across Europe, and in particular Germany.
January 12, 2022
US solar tracker supplier Array Technologies has completed its previously announced acquisition of Spanish tracker manufacturer Soluciones Técnicas Integrales Norland, S.L. (STI Norland).  

Subscribe to Newsletter

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Webinars
January 26, 2022
Free Webinar
Solar Media Events
February 23, 2022
London, UK
Solar Media Events
March 8, 2022
London, UK
Solar Media Events
March 23, 2022
Austin, Texas, USA
Solar Media Events
March 29, 2022
Lisbon, Portugal